Camp knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well if you're looking for a big tough knife that can handle a lot of abuse, I'm not sure if the Spyderco bushcrafter would be right for you. Maybe it can handle battoning some wood (though I've seen pictures of one broken in half and the handle in three pieces from that...) but prying, digging, chopping?! I don't know about that...

Now I don't really think any knife should be used to dig or pry but if you're intent on doing that kinda thing, maybe you should try an ESEE RC-6 or Junglas or an Ontario RAT 7 or RTAK II (discontinued but you can find them around). The Junglas or RTAK II especially if you're going to chop with it, if you had a lot of money a Busse would be a fine choice too.

The Fallkniven F1 seems tough and is definately well liked but just like other "Bushcraft" type of knives, it's shorter and so pretty useless for chopping. The A1 on the other hand would be a good option similar in size to the ESEE RC-6 or Ontario RAT 7 and probably equally capable.

All of my suggestions are based on the idea that you're going to be chopping, prying, heavily battoning, digging and stuff like that though, so if you don't want to use your knife like that, that brings more, shorter knives into the mix as well (like the F1).

Grohmann knives are good Canadian made knives and although they seem to be designed more for hunting purposes, they'd still work just as well as any belt knife of that size. A Buck 119 special would also be good in that role, and of course the Fallkniven F1. These suggestions would be for regular knife use only though, with some battoning, no chopping.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Maybe what you really need is a BattleBar from Hoodoo Knifeworks. I can fix ya up for around $600.

battlebar1.jpg

The sheath is another $50.

battlebar2.jpg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Be careful there Hoodoo, I remember once that Johnny Carson did a late night comedy monologue that involved a supposed product called "Dicky the Stick." During the monologue, Carson waved around a piece of tree branch about three feet long, all the while extolling the virtues and infinite possibilities of "Dicky the Stick." He wound up by saying it was available for "just $19.95." He was swamped with orders. The next night he explained that it was all a comedy bit, and to please not send in orders.

Normally, I would expect you to get some orders for the "Battle Bar," but I think we might have too sophisticated an audience here for your product. Besides, I don't care for your Kydex sheath. I wanted real leather, sigh.

P

Phantom Power

Hey there. Good to see another Canadian about. I just thought I'd chime in since I've had a Grohmann Boat knife for over 15 years now that my Dad gave to me. He bought it in the 60's, and used it thoroughly before I got it.

It's a great knife. It's certainly able to do anything you'd need in the woods. It takes an edge very well and keeps it. I wouldn't recommend prying and digging with any knife that isn't meant for that (Hori-Hori knives for example), but I'd wager the Grohmann will hold up to that just as well as any other knife of comparable thickness.

Mar 25, 2010
uk
Hello,

I don't know if this strictly counts as a bushcraft knife
but this is what I use and it is very tough with a heavy duty pommel for hammering; and it's very beautiful too.
It comes with a sharpening stone and the metal backed sheath has room for extra items.

Its a Camillus Pilot Survival Knife / Ontario 499

IMGP5930.jpg

IMGP5931.jpg

IMGP5932.jpg

IMGP5926.jpg

Here is a typical review;
This knife is heavy for it's size and is handle-heavy. The extra weight is easily justfied by the hammering capability of the butt cap-which is awesome!The blade is 4-7/8" long and is made of 1095 tool steel, which is easy to sharpen. The saw teeth on the spine work well on wire and nails, but fall short on cutting metal and plastic sheeting.The size of the blade and the protective metal casing on the sheath make this a safe choice for all skill levels. The Camillus Pilot Survival Knife is on the "must have" list of many for three simple reasons: It's a comfortable, safe, and reliable survival tool.

These knives are very cheap; mine was £6 from a boot sale but they are about $40 new.

http://www.elinemerchandising.com/5733B.html

Best Wishes
HenryKrinkle.

Nov 20, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Adding my late 2 cts.

I bought my Fallkniven S1 from Target Knives and Survival in Calgary, I think when he still had a eBay or online shop, though it's been long enough I'm not sure which one. You could give him a call to see if he's got anything. I like my S1, decent size and heft, better grip than the USAF pilots knife (I've got one of those too, it tore up the webbing on my thumb using it, from the crossguard).

I think a lot of bushcrafters would say, stick with what you've got; a puukko is a fine knife for outdoors, maybe the suggested leuku as it's bigger brother?

Matt in Texas

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Why not get a hatchet or tomahawk? How much is a CS hawk? Not a lot of money.

Will chop, split, dig, hammer . . .

A lot of fun to use as well.

Just sounds like you already have a knife to do knife things . . .

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
EdReed20

I have a D.H. Russell "Canadian Belt Knife," that I bought in the '60's. It is one of my three favorite knives. (Mora Clipper; EnZo trapper; D.H. Russell) I suppose I use the Mora the most; Love the EnZo for cutting; and love the Russell for its elegant and unique design. I am always intrigued by how the handle of the Russell looks entirely too small, yet when I use it, it feels perfect.

You should own one. Being a Canadian, you DEFINITELY should own one. Did you know that the Russell, Canadian Belt Knife was once shown in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, in the Industrial Design section?

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
What kind of budget are you working on?

Hmmm... working in canadian dolars:

The mora 2010 is good, got one myself
$40

any of the karesuando knives $90

The falkniven s1 at around $170

The gerber big rock camp knife is good, but cannot price it

hope this helps,
Ph34r

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
There is, of course, the good MOD Survival knife. These are dirt cheap and once sharpened up hold a very good edge.
Perfect for batoning (you couldn't imagine a more robust knife) and camp duties.
There's no finesse with these knives - if carving is your thing then best look elsewhere. But they tough, heavy, ugly and you could build a skyscraper with one.
Here's one example:
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/knives/army-survival-knife.htm

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Welcome Edreed20 nice place this and so is Canada may I say. I loved it when I was there a few years ago, we may have even wandered about in the same bit of forrest or pandled inthe same bit of river. I stopped over at my uncles and he aint many minutes from Bracebridge. :) Small world aint it.

Wish I'd have been a little more flush at the time as there are some real bargains to be had and money to be saved over your side of the pond, wish I could have picked up a few knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE