Camp in woods dilemma.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

oilyrag

Here in Switzerland, wild-camping is illegal and fines are steep, but there is a sizable bushcraft community. We help each other with a shared policy of 'leave no trace'. If people started leaving scorch marks and shelters then the Polizei would become more active and the fines more frequent and expensive. You must think of others and the future of your pastime.

Also, if i need to return to the UK i intend on purchasing woodland for my retirement plan, if i found persons squatting on my property i'd be sincerely unamused and would have them removed by fair means or foul, no matter what their intention.

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
Fwiw, When I was first taught shelter building, it was most definitely NOT a good idea to leave any trace! Of course, the instructors were thinking along the lines of we may be out in Angola or somewhere simlilarly hostile. ;)

I was 15 at the time. :rolleyes:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My local country park has at least two fire sites that are used regularly, and the mess they attract is appalling. Someone even left a tent and sleeping bag abandoned in one plus a large quantity of empty ciders:rant: . I found two full unopened cans;) while clearing up the mess. So leaving no trace discourages others from soiling the natural world with their waste.

The same country park also has a conifer plantain that someone builds debris shelters and leaves them up. They leave no rubbish what so ever, in fact the surrounding area is oddly litter free. We discovered one of them while walking with my sister in law, she started on a whinge about how boring and pointless bushcraft was, then the baby started to cry for feed. Needing somewhere comfy and private the she was persuaded to use the shelter. It didn't make her a convert, but it was a lovely place to stop. There is a fire site near where these are built but only fungi hunter and bushcrafter could spot the signs of it. Generally we should all aim to leave no trace, but I like these shelters even if it is know there some else out there.

No nonbiodegradable products are left by this who-ever-it-is. No paracord or tarps. The shelters aren't rain proof or very well built. They last about a month and then they are taken down where another one appears in a different place. So come on who is the phantom bushcrafter of parkhall staffordshire then:theyareon ?

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I am :bandit: I understand now why people complain about people making a shelter and a fire even if they do not leave any non biogradable products behind, my friend is a good lad - one of my best mates but is totally clueless - the type of person that if you dont tell him to do anything he will just sit around doing nothing. Anyway our campsite even though i leave no trace is a state it really gets on my **** ends seeing it! almost all the trees around us are stripped of bark by him constantly and not needing to hit them with an axe - i must admit i do occasionaly slam the axe in a tree when i am doing something and will need it again in a minute, but he finds some reason to pick it up for a task it isnt needed for, wood chippings left all over, the shelter he breaks (though really i should make it more stable) my seat he destroys and it falls apart, i just realised when my dad said to me when i got home later he cannot believe the state it was in - really dissapointed me people have no respect :11doh: :rolleyes: ahh well when we find a new campsite i will go over the rules and all will be good :)

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Yep Stew we do and i know that,hence the reason i posted it.

If i was alone i know i could leave a week later and no one would know i was there

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
It may have already been said but if you don't have permission then you should leave no trace of your time in the woods. This may be harsh but my view is its not your place to change whats naturally there.

Let me put it another way. I could camp in any wood I choose, without upsetting anyone or anyone even knowing. Set up in the evening, be gone shortly after dawn, leave no trace - no harm done.
Start making it a regular social gathering and you're asking for trouble.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Fair point, I just noticed your age, sometimes forget how young some of you guys are. Its a shame that there are so many weirdos out there.....though at 17 and joining up I guess those apron strings will soon be cut.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Doubt it :theyareon The chance of finding someone remotly intrested apart from my dad in the outdoors around here is next to nothing, Blooming shame really :(

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I looked into the TA and if i joined i wouldnt be able to join the royal marines until i was 19, say i cant just do a few months and decide i want to leave and join something else :red: :D

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Aside from anything else, this thread may look to some like condoning criminal trespass.

There have been a few of these threads before and the message from the mods has always (and should be) seek permission. No ifs buts or maybes.

My local woods is magical, until you come across some more rubbish - or another tree that is dead through someone smacking it with a half sharp implement. I often find leaf litter shelters which I don't have a problem with - kick them over and they look like debris and rot down. More often than not, the brainless chav with a bottle of vodka in one hand lighter fliud in the other will assume this is a 'good spot' as someone has made an effort to make something of it. Don't give them the shelter to encourage them to ruin the spot.

I'd remove the temptation and clear away -especially with that mate who vandalises trees, it sounds as if you need to clear away all sharps and remove temptation there too. I've never believed ignorance to be any defence, shape up sounds like great advice. Have you thought about a tarp and going on your own?

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I might not be very bushcrafty, but just quietly pitching a little 1 man tent in the evening and packing up after dawn is probably better than cutting trees down and making camps;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE