Camp fire Trivets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Why are these so hard to come by?

I went to Hampton Court Palace today and saw some awesome ones in the Tudor kitchen. Simple designs - metal stand to hold up a pot or pan. Can I find one to buy? No.

I could make one if I was so inclined, but I'm not :)

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Whittler Kev made trivets which he had for sale here not so long ago. Maybe he still does?? Try contacting him.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
what about using an old xmas tree holder? the ones you put the trees into? X shape base with 4 prongs sticking up in a square, can't find a picture but you'd stick the 4 prongs in the ground and use the X as the trivet.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Thanks for the replies. I've seen thewhittler kev and strap hinges oes in my searches for a decent trivet. Also the horseshoe one. I think what I actually need is a welder!

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Will post some photos once i've downloaded them from the camera. They certainly did have some nice kitchen paraphernalia there!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
old brass ornamental type kettles often come with a trivet, these trivets are usually a circular ring with three legs attached to ring with a screw, so are easily taken apart to lay flat by removing screws, you often see them for sale in junk shops/boot sales for ornaments and some people use them for standing terracotta flower pots on so pot doesn't crack in the winter, they are usually less than a fiver i paid £2 for the last one i got. there is one shown for reference in this photo http://www.rubylane.com/item/530511-31994/Trivet-English-Victorian-Brass-c1880

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Im sure if you asked Whittler kev he will make you something like that. BTW if you untick the box when uploading photos via URL it will make them come out big.:)

LOL - I host the images externally. The thumbnails are on purpose - so people don't have to unnecessarily download large images :)

I think I'm going to get an arc welder. Can't be too difficult eh!

Last edited:

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
As it happens, I have those trivets - my in laws live in South Africa, and buying gifts for me is easy :)

The problem is they are not big enough or strong enough for a large potjie/Dutch oven.

I do appreciate all there's resposes here though!

I had an idea of welding bits of rebar together to make a stand. Ugly, but functional. Other option is a paela stand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/paella-open-fire-stand-30cm/dp/B004S7QKZK

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE