Camp beds in tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Going to be doing a motorcycle trip to Auschwitz in July and camping.

I always use an Exped Synmat but my mate needs his camp bed for his back.

As he'll be borrowing one of my tents I'm worried about the feet damaging the tent floor.

Are my concerns valid and should I be putting something under his bed to prevent any problems?

Thanks for any advice

John

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
We use a couple of the civvy equivalent of the army folding cots. the ones that have 3 sets of legs and fold into 4. We use them in our tipi with the ground sheet and have never had any problems. The only consideration is the height, if its only a light weight hiking tent, he may end up with his nose on the roof.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
We use a couple of the civvy equivalent of the army folding cots. the ones that have 3 sets of legs and fold into 4. We use them in our tipi with the ground sheet and have never had any problems. The only consideration is the height, if its only a light weight hiking tent, he may end up with his nose on the roof.
Thanks baggins

It will be either a Vango Omega 350 or Outwell Earth 2

I'd thought about the height issue too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I take a small picnic rug to put under my camp cot if I use it in a tent. Packs small and has a secondary use to sit on at rest stops for tea and snacks. I too would wonder about being too close to the roof. I only use a cot in a lager tent. I do take an air bed bike camping. Heavy bulky and about the same amount of faff to put up, less if you have a battery operated pump. Personally find airbed more comfortable than a cot but each to their own. Cot may work in the vango... just!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When we're trekking (i.e. full 110 Land Rover overland) we use an Oz Tent and put the beds straight on the groundsheet - we've been doing it for years (well over 10) and had no problems. However the Oz Tent has a pretty substantial groundsheet.

If it's a lightweight ground sheet I'd use something underneath it anyway to protect it from damage which would help. If I've got my tents right, the Vango is the taller one and should have ample room. However, I would consider both a bit big for trekking on the bike; but then I've only got a Bonneville which is hardly a load carrier :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I used a camp bed in a Vango Omega 350 for 4 or 5 nights last autumn. I was the only occupant of course! Height-wise was ok and I used a small rug underneath. The bottom of the tent looked fine afterwards. Hope that helps.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
My wife has a Coleman bed, with an inflatable mattress, it’s quite a nice bit of kit and I wish I had bought one at the same time so we could sleep on the same level.

We use a Vango 5 person, as that is the only one that the bed would fit in, without touching the sides/ends and we would be comfortable in.

We never put anything under the feet, and there was no damage to the ground sheet that I could see.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Tennis balls sounds good, if the legs are small/narrow you night get away with squash balls. Ive used some quilting type fabric to make wee booties for my army campcot. You could use leather off cuts, or scrap bits of towels or socks. Either laid flat or slipped over the individual legs, use gaffer tape to hold in place.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What sort of bed is it he has? Fairly compact to fit on the bike?

I use a carp fishing bedchair in the belltent, they have wide plates on the feet because they’re designed for muddy or soft riverbanks. The belltent does have a very substantial groundsheet, but even so, 6 plated legs shouldn’t cause any problems.

Thing with the belltent is it has vertical sides for the first couple of feet, so the beds can be right at the edges. Sloping sides are going to limit space a lot.

Best bet might be the carpet protectors suggested above.

Reactions: norfolknun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE