camp bed for bell tent

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have the Gelert version, done me proud:

skinpp.jpg

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have an original wood frame US army camp bed, a Gelert clone and have used the newer metal frame US one as well. All are good but the military ones have better build quality.

I have found using a self inflating mat on top of my camp bed is very comfy and warm.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've had one similar to the Anchor "sorry no longer available" for many years. It's steel tube, steel wire legs and a thick canvas top which are all a bit heavy so I don't use it on foot or on the bike, but it's a very comfy bed and it packs down fairly well so it's great for car/truck camping.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've had one similar to the Anchor "sorry no longer available" for many years. It's steel tube, steel wire legs and a thick canvas top which are all a bit heavy so I don't use it on foot or on the bike, but it's a very comfy bed and it packs down fairly well so it's great for car/truck camping.

The problem I found with them Ged is that the heavier you are the more pressure on the bed and it 'folds in' a bit on itself, gets narrower; thats said they are comfy enough.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Another vote for the carp folding bed chair - padded & adjustable legs to level it out. Some good deals to be had on line. Cheers.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The genuine US cots are good but there is a technique to getting the end bars on, you basically need a lever. Carp fishing beds are a superb option, though bigger, bulkier, heavier and more expensive. Cant be beaten for comfort though. I use a campmor army officers bed, it was hellishly expensive for what it is, but it's superb. It packs to a similar size to a US army cot, but is welded steel construction so is about 3x heavier - it is also sprung - that's ace.

s097.jpg

Aside from being steel, properly sprung and better balanced than the US cot, one of the main advantages of this cot is it's height. The higher you are inside a tipi or belltent, the less room you have. The US cots sit quite high off the ground, which means you have to bring them in from the sides of the tent to get the hight you need. I found it dramatically reduced the floor space of the tent. The Campmor though, is about 2/3 the height of the US cot, which makes a fair bit of difference inside a tent. That said, I cant recommend one on the basis of cost, they are just too expensive for what they are. If I was buying again, I think I would go for a carefully selected carp fishermans bed. You have to be careful not to go daft with the fishing stuff though, some of it is stupidly massive.

On top of the campmor officers cot I use a campmor roll up mattress....

a0ded6042f12ffbdd625888f5dcc88c6__44279_zoom.jpg

Super soft and super warm, it's 2 1/2 inch thick foam covered in cotton. Light but very bulky - it would completely fill a large bergen on it's own. Works perfectly with the officers bed though.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've got the US Army bed, and its bulletproof! Use it with the Polish Army mattress - lovely and comfy. (but not for backpackers....)

Agree that its a bit of a space-stealer in a tipi because of the sloping sides of the tent and the height of the bed.. However, you can store all your stuff underneath it, or infrequently used bits - (tent bag etc) on the "inaccessible" portion of the tent.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE