Camouflage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
I'm just getting back into shooting after a break for a few years, and have been extremely fortunate in having permission to shoot on a large downland farm (shotgun ... for rabbits and pigeons to start .... and hopefully smallbore rifle in the near future for rabbits and foxes (yet to see any deer on the farm, but always hopeful - and the farmer tells me he sees them occasionally). I used to have a barbour jacket (scrapped a couple of years back) although a friend (shoots semi-professionally) recommends ex-military camo gear. Having looked at the latest range of hi-tech clothing around in patterns like Realtree Hardwood and Mossy Oak, I'm very tempted (Please ... Father Christmas!), but would appreciate any advice. :confused:

bow drill

Oct 12, 2005
wales
go for the hardwoods green excellent stuff it is much better than x army have used it for years and it does take a hammering ,nice to hear your back into shooting a constant supply of fresh meat nothing added as they say

good hunting
bowdrill :D :D

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I keep meaning to treat myself to some decent Realtree stuff, but have aways made do with ex army myself. It's hard wearing and if you buy the right stuff its QUIET. A lot of the realtree clothes I've seen are far too "rustly" for my liking, and those that are not seen to be well out of my price range. Most of my shooting these days is with the .22 rimfire although I occasionally shoot full-bore and shotgun too. I work part time for a local pest control company and mainly shoot rabbits at dusk and lamp them into the night. Working on foot I like to keep things as quiet as possible. I have found that any "earth colours"(Soft browns, and greens, particularly dark olive) work fine for late dusk and during darkness, but for lighter conditions the only thing that truly hides a man is stillness. The instant you move about, wildlife picks you out whatever you wear. The army teach camouflage techniques with the mantra of things to avoid.. Shape, Shine, Shadow, Silhouette and Sound. Break up your outline, no shiney stuff, keep off the skyline and away from flat monochrome sufaces like walls, keep out of light whether it be the sun or artificial light, and rig your kit for "silent running" and you've done just about all you can do. The rest comes down to field craft and stalking skills to get you within range of your quarry unless you plan on ambushing them, as from a hide when pigeon shooting.

Having said all that I do know of one occasion when cammo gear worked against us until we sussed what was happening. We had a job clearing rabbits from a well used piece of public land and would shoot there evenings and at night time (With the council aware and the police well informed as well as suitable safety precautions taken) The rabbits had been persecuted in the area for some years before we got the contract, and ran for cover at the sight of anyone in green or cammo kit. Blue jeans and an everyday shirt was the order of the day. The rabbits ignored the everday visitors (dog walkers, lovers etc etc) but knew that cammo clad men meant trouble!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
All the animals you have mentioned see in black and white so you don't really need cammo unless your hidding from somebody else...

Soft, earthly, none shiney, natural and silent items of wool or cotton (left outside between wearing them and prefebly near a fire) would be ideal.

The ex-army stuff is good as it's hard wearing but don't worry too much about the cammo :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Polestar said:
.... and hopefully smallbore rifle in the near future for rabbits and foxes (yet to see any deer on the farm, but always hopeful - and the farmer tells me he sees them occasionally).

A smallbore rifle for foxes and deer?

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Cammo has many forms. Most ex army stuff that folks call cammo is classed as DPM, which I believe to stand for Disrupted Pattern Material. It's the disrupted pattern that helps to beak up the human outline to aid non-detection. The fact that a lot of game sees in black and white is evident by the fact that in the U.S. hunters can stalk their quarry whilst wearing the statutory Blaze Orange (So other shooters can see and identify them instead of shooting them!) They now produce DPM material that is basically just blaze orange and black, but the irregularity of it helps to disguise the outline of the wearer to anything that does not see in colour as we humans do.
For my own shooting I have found that on most occasions the soft, muted earth colours allow me to blend in well enough to get close enough to game for a good clean kill-shot.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Realtree stuff is great if you're hunting feral humans. As Longstrider mentioned, Shape, shine, shadow, sound, silhouette and movement are the real give-aways. Ex army gear is tough and cheap to replace if you catch it on a barbed wire fence. Good fieldcraft is the essential skill, as you'll be given away by other factors even if your cam is megabuck brilliant.

All this said, if I could afford a good set - I'd have it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
bambodoggy said:
All the animals you have mentioned see in black and white so you don't really need cammo unless your hidding from somebody else...

Soft, earthly, none shiney, natural and silent items of wool or cotton (left outside between wearing them and prefebly near a fire) would be ideal.

The ex-army stuff is good as it's hard wearing but don't worry too much about the cammo :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)
It's true true that most animals don't see colour like humans but cammo still has the advantage of breaking up your outline and helping you to blend in with your surroundings pay particular attention to your face and hands as these are easy spotted, however if your fieldcraft is poor your results will be poor also :rolleyes:

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
steven andrews said:
A smallbore rifle for foxes and deer?

Sorry about the 'shorthand' - should have read ... a smallbore (probably .22LR) rifle for rabbits, and something bigger (.223/.243 respectively) for foxes and deer, at some point in the future. Guess it's the excitement of getting back out there. :eek:

Some good advice on Camo - thanks all. I guess that like many things, it comes down to personal choice, and the depth of your pockets. I agree that in many aspects of bushcraft, it's not the equipment that matters as much as how you use it. As much as anything it's the practicality of the various options I was thinking about .. noise, durability, weather-resistance and comfort .... as my Dad always says, "Any fool can be uncomfortable!'

W

WNZer

Deer actually see in blue I have read, they see humans well in any colour if you use laundry detergent because it has a blue dye in it to make whites seem brighter, you can buy detergent thaty dosent have this or just dont wash it with detergent.

leon-1

Most any midtone will work which means that dull reds, browns, greys, greens, oranges, in fact you name it as long as it is not too light or dark.

Any jacket will take on different shades due to it folding in places and causing shadow, creases in the jacket anything like that break up the one solid colour that we perceive when we see it hanging. If you then add to that mud and water the colour of the jacket will not remain the same anyway.

Most DPM is too dark anyway and at range people will appear as a large black / dark blob, stalking the prey is what matters, the use of natural cover from foliage to folds in the ground deals with the majority of problems associated with sight and being seen. Some of the guys already mentioned the old army bit (shape, shine, shadow, silhouette, surface and movement), but smell and sound are major factors when stalking animals.

Sound and smell are different matters which to prey animals are far more important than sight in many cases, most of the time you will either be heard or sniffed out before you are seen.:)

Lightweight trousers and a bog standard green jacket (including barbour types) will do the job as effectively as any disruptive patterned material.:)

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
steven andrews said:
Was he in the Forces by any chance?

How did you guess? He's full of 'pearls of wisdom', and in reponse to your question would probably say ... 'Yes, when they were needing 'em, not feeding 'em'. It's frightening how often I find myself coming out with his old sayings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE