Camo Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am not sure what materials take paint best but mine is a pretty standard tarp material. It gets stored folded up and the paint has started to crack in places, in irregular patterns, but that adds to the camo effect as the olive green of the tarp material shows through as long random cracks, which adds another dimension to the overall effect. My tarp seems to be made up two ways of adding the paint; one is long (18" to 2') wavey lines about a spay line width wide (3" or so) usually have a kink in them & the other is patches of paint finely sprayed on from further away. Another way of looking at it is it looks a bit like the stripes on a tiger, that help to conceal it in the long grass, but a bit more random, if that makes sense. As with all camo it's about breaking up the ouline & the longer wavey lines on mine seem to work better than the quite short blobs of colour you get on DPM & other camos. There are some other threads on BCUK about painting tarps but can't remember how much detail they go into; i have also seen ex servicemen on here mention it a few times, so maybe some of the could tell you how it's done as maybe the army has developed some ways of doing this. Interesting subject & sorry that the OP's thread has taken a detour... but I hope they find this interesting.

Biker: I like the bike & it must have taken ages to do, with lots of breaks to stop your head spinning.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
good topic! i did some rucksacks and webbing with humbrol tins and got good effects. saw the plain og equipment painted up by sf troops for gulf war and got inspired. i just randomley dry brushed the paint onto the material and roughly blended in places, used some white, brown, yellow. amazing what patterns work well, if u think that dpm is a camo but also a uniform which is almost a contradiction! snipers from ww1 started painting their overcoats to make a true camo which is probably where it started. i saw some local troops in brunei going into jungle training with what looked like a home done ragged tree bark type camo which used lots of white and green and it was very effective.
reckon spray would take fine on any tarp, not sure about the solvents in them having a negative effect on the waterproofing, any body had any problems?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Mine is a good few years old & the tarp is still waterproof. I must get some cans of spray paint & give this a go myself some time.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
if you have the means to sew, i have a roll of ripstop DPM (used to make Soldier 95 pattern military wear - official MOD issue), and a 100m roll of 35mm black heavy duty webbing - it could be joined to make a tarp no problem. i've been meaning to stick some up in the classifieds for a while

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hi folks, not been on this forum for ages, looking for a Large Camo Tarp also. A Mate of mine has a 5 x 4M lightweight Aussie camo tarp, asked him where he got it, and he tells me from a member on this very forum-Andywink.... Is he still around? and does he still make tarps? If he does, I'll be having one!! Thanks, Andy

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
Quick bump to see if anyone has made or come across a desent camo tarp? I feel Tarping season is almost upon us! Although I'm sure you winter guys have been out already!

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE