Camo Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
Does anyone have or know where one can purchase a camo tarp? I've googled but nothing of any quality really comes up. Looking for a 4m x 3m preferably but smaller would probably do.

Thanks guys.

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
That's quite nice actually. It's a shame they don't do larger sizes, as camo just blends in so nicely. I've got a poly cotton Tatonka 4 x 3 tarp in pistachio I think! But it just sticks out like a sore thumb from a distance. Maybe the Basil one would be better?
There does not seem to be much of a Market for camo tarps.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
You can always spray them in camo, like a lot of army boys do. You can get surprisingly good results that belnd into woods & fields better than a lot of standard DPM ones, if you dont go too heavy on the browns. Here are a couple of pics of my favorite small tarp that I picked up off an airsofter that is very good in both woods & in fields.

5.jpg6.jpg

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
They do look good. Has anyone here tried spraying a tarp? Could make a good pattern. What paint do you use? I feel it's always better to blend in where ever you stay!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Not tried it on a tarp but ive done two old rucksack's just used paint from a modeling shop both spray and the small tins mainly woodland brown,ocre,and shades of green,works well but does make the material a little stiffer,ok on a ruck,but maybe a issue on a tarp,although Neumo's looks very effective.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
That tarp of mine was done by an ex-army sniper who has been doing t for years. It's a olive tarp with swirls of yellow, dark green & a bit of brown. It looks a bit unliky as camo but it just blends in really well in woods, fields or in the caseof the photos on dunes next to a beach.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Really like that cammo pattern Neumo. any chance of a more detailed close up version of it? Having painted my motorbike in urban cammo I know how difficult doing somthing like that is. I was boss-eyed by the time I finished it.

Like the idea a lot of painting a tarp but I traded something for a cammo poncho recently so I suppose there's no need. Hmmm saying that I cculd paint the inside of one of the ordinary green ones I have and have it reversable.

Stealth camping, yeah I like the sound of that. (Insert theme tune to Mission Impossible)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
have you got fiberglass tent poles keeping the tarp up ?
Yes that was a 'dome tarp' I messed about with a few weeks ago, that was covered on this thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57767&pagenumber=

Biker:
Here are some pics of the spray job close up & of it set up in the woods. The trap is olive green & the trick to painting seems to be to leave enough of the green of the tarp showing so that blends in with the yellow, brown & other colours sprayed on. It is great for stealth camping or nature watching as birds just dont seem to see it. I have had an owl land in a tree about 20 yards away & it did not see me while I watched it eat it's lunch. I bought it off an airsofter, who are good people to know when it comes to second hand army kit.

I will bring it along to the moot so you can have a good look at it. I want to learn how it's done so will try to copy it some time.

SL730608.jpg

SL730610.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Thanks for that. I'm going to run a google image search to try and scare up some homemade cammo designs. Mass produced DPM stuff is OK but I'm betting snipers and such are taught to take it to a new level. Not that I intend being a sniper, but these things interest me. Cammouflage, that is, not sniping.

Anyway really impressed with that. Thanks for sharing.

Biker

Getting some interesting results back on that google image search.

Thought I'd share a pic of that paint job I did on my bike. You can see why I went boss-eyed doing it, so many overlaps.

Having moved from a town into rural France you can see I really blend in now. D'oh! :togo:

GPz600R-left.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack Bizmarty.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Getting some interesting results back on that google image search.

Thought I'd share a pic of that paint job I did on my bike. You can see why I went boss-eyed doing it, so many overlaps.

Having moved from a town into rural France you can see I really blend in now. D'oh! :togo:

GPz600R-left.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack Bizmarty.

Nice paint job ... did u do it your self ....

Bizmarty

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2008
Under a Tree, UK
Hey, no problem dude :) like the paint job on the bike! I'm interested in camo design too. That's a good idea using a green tarp. DPM has 4 colours, green, black, brown and light beige. I've though about using landscape pictures on some photo editing software and adding differnt colours to a section of the land to get different results. Not sure about the shapes that should be used for each colour though. Anyone else tried this or different methods of developing camo for a item?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE