Camo Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Swedish camo looks great. Iv always liked it since I saw Swede soldiers in Bosnia on the tv.
Where can you get it is the question - in other words where can you get a full Swedish BDU from a decent website that isnt half a***d like Surplus and Adventure, etc :cussing:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
if i don't want to be seen, i keep still

That really is spot on advice.

I wear plain greens most of the time out and about and generally try and avoid people (they upset the wildlife). If I see people or animals I tend to keep still by a tree and watch whatever passes. If you're not moving and you're not an obvious sillouette most things miss you if the winds in your favour.

Had an amusing incident a couple of months ago where I saw two chavs walking toward me down the path I did my usual stand still by a tree at the side of the path routine and they sat down right in front of me (within arms reach) and started rolling up. I didn't particularly fancy breathing their smoke so I said 'scuse me fellas and stepped between them, scared the full seven shades out of them :D

Scoops

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Swedish camo looks great. Iv always liked it since I saw Swede soldiers in Bosnia on the tv.
Where can you get it is the question - in other words where can you get a full Swedish BDU from a decent website that isnt half a***d like Surplus and Adventure, etc :cussing:

Genuine kit is scarce- I got given a brand new set so I'm lucky.:rolleyes:

http://www.tacgear.de/produkte/commando-smock.php

Tac gear in Germany (great company to deal with) does most of their range in Swedish, Danish, Fleck, DPM, OG, Black etc etc and at pretty good prices IMO.

Check out the gallery...

Great example of summer use of Danish 'Dansktarn'

9.jpg

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
You'll never get a single camo pattern that even matches the environments you're likely to encounter even on a days walk. It's best to wear 2 or 3 different patterns.

All these patterns seem good to me -

Grey Camo: US ACU, old Austrian pattern, WW2 German splintertarn, Kammo Imagecam.

Brown Camo: Advantage Timber, Norwegian, multicam, WW2 sumpfmuster AKA Tan and Water, MARPAT, flecktarn, DPM.

Green Camo: Danish, Swedish, CADPAT

Desert patterns: DPM, CADPAT, wustentarn, MARPAT

They can all be bought in the UK

Take a look at this thread for camo information -

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24165

You can also wear contrasting plain colours (olive green, beige etc) if you don't want to wear camo.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Had an amusing incident a couple of months ago where I saw two chavs walking toward me down the path I did my usual stand still by a tree at the side of the path routine and they sat down right in front of me (within arms reach) and started rolling up. I didn't particularly fancy breathing their smoke so I said 'scuse me fellas and stepped between them, scared the full seven shades out of them :D

Scoops

Fantastic Scoops,
I would have paid money to see that.
Following on, when I take my airgnu out rabbitting, I sometimes wear a homemade ghillie suit as it provides cover that is neither exactly worn nor distinguisheable - you can hide within or behind it. One time a bird landed on the back of my leg as I lay next to a hedge. I can't say who was more upset when I let out a roar, the bird or me:eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was always of the opinion that it's shape and movement you've got to be aware of rather than colour.
The human eye isn't very good at picking up on colour and tends to notice distinctive and recognisable shapes instead, so anything that breaks up the shape of the body into a more 'natural' image is good.
Then all you've got to do is keep still.
Unless someone's really desperately looking for you, you should go unnoticed.

Oh, and by the way, straight lines and right-angles hardly ever occur in nature, so avoid any camo that incorporates them.

:cool:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
after being in army cadets for 4 years i have lernt the 'art' of camoflarge and consealment. there is alot more to it than just wearing camo. the best way to remember how to keep hiden is to follow the S's of camoflarge, there are loads of these but these ae the most inportant imo-

SHAPE - familier shapes will naturaly be eye catching, like the shape of a man. so get rid of that shape by useing local camo like twigs, tufts of grass, etc. but you can go over the top, you dont want to be a walking bush because you will stick out more and bushes dont walk lol. something more relivent to bushcraft is your tarp or a lean to natural shelter (just because made of nature it doesnt meen it will look natural), large, strate and square so again break up the shape by useing twigs and branches. but this time you can make it look like a bush because it wont move.

SOUND - i think you can work this one out.

SILLOWET/SKYLINE - (sorry i dont know how to spell it or camoflarge lol) basicly stay away from hilltops and bright backgrounds like chalk cliffs.

SHINE - bright clothing and what everybody forgets exposed skin, hands, face etc you can use get rid of shine by blacking up you face with char cole, ash or cam creem but again (espesuly with cam creem) you can over do it and it will shine even more.

SUDDEN MOVEMENT - the faster something is moveing the more eyecatching it is also any short sharp movements.

i know what your thinking 'why the hell yould i want to do that, this guy must be a right nutter!' and your right you wouldnt want to black up you face, stick twigs in your clothes and change you walking root to avoid skylines. in the world of army cadets its fine but you wouldnt want to be found like this in your local wood lol (and no i dont do it).

but what im trying to say is that if you dont go all the way it wont work at all no matter what type of camoflarge your wereing. the only thing i would do is camoflarge a natural shelter so theres less chance of someone finding it and smashing it to bits!

pete

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Following on from Ogri's ghilly suit comment and a few other posts, I've just being pondering the shortage of clothing with loops to tuck a bit of local veg into.

Maybe the best camouflage jacket is olive green with a few loops in so you can add some local bracken, grass or sheep to help you fit in?

Scoops

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I reckon the old Denison smock was good. DPM seems too bright and the Denison seems to be alot more drag coloured - it figures really because it was made for operations in France.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE