Cammo or just subdued colours?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Toddy, Is "Hodden Grey" cloth still available or is there anybody who could make it around?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hodden grey is available :D
Indeed Bernie the Bolt (Bernard Hunt) sells it :cool:

How much do you need ?
Hodden grey and dandy grey russet ( :grin:) are both very good at subtle camouflage :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No mate, the scent blocker stuff hasn't taken off over hear although I am aware of it. In fact, a fair few people smoke when stalking (hunting) especially if they are using high seats (tree stands). The thinking, which I tend to agree with, is that deer have such a well developed sense of smell that, if the wind is in their favour they will smell you, if the wind is in your favour they won't, simple as that.

Most of our stalking takes place in relatively well populated areas and there is a fair chance that you may meet a member of the public. Hunting in all its forms is under pressure in the UK so it is important that we give a good impression.

Glyn.

I don't use scent blocker myself and I'm not really sure just how many do over here; just assumed from the massive presence of it in the catalogs that it is popular here. I understand the need for trying to keep a good impression for the non-hunters; hunting here is under pressure from anti-hunting groups as well. Though likely not to the same extent as over there, both sides tend to be more "in your face" here.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If it weren't for it's associations with the military I think the variety of camo patterns (digital abominations excluded) could be considered quite aesthetic. I tend to avoid camo these days but back in the day it was high fashion. I tend to prefer subdued and natural colours, it's just a preference, probably goes along with a liking for nature. Let's not forget that the military were very late to adopt camo prefering gaudy show in times past whereas I suspect people who lived with nature blended in more. After all where does the ghillie suit come from originally?

Incidentally in the right conditions dayglo orange and yellows can blend in, it all depends on the background and lighting conditions, think sunlit autumnal woodland.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I have never saw a 432 with a scorpion turret on it before........First time for everything

I would like to find out who is flying a Jolly Roger especially above the Union flag! At least they have our flag the correct way up which is rare these days!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That 432 is in Urban Camo for use in the Berlin Garrison. The idea is it's supposed to blend in with an urban back drop.

Dazzle Camo is not supposed to blend in per se but to confuse the observer as to what they are actually looking at.. I you know it's a ship but is it a Cruiser or a corvette type of thing..

and what direction is its guns pointing...

AUSCAM is said to work in a similar way - personally i think its so horid looking the observer looks away in sigust and the brain does a great job in forgetting youve seen it :D

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I have never saw a 432 with a scorpion turret on it before........First time for everything

Ah, see that's how good is it, you can't see the Scorpion can you? I bet you can't even see the Chieftan and the FH70 either can you? Damn effective that urban camouflage:D

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Some gamekeepers will tell you that cammo will only hide you from humans.

Why don't stalkers use dazzle camouflage?

Surely if you mask sent and take into account wind then dazzle camouflage is the way.

If it can't smell you, it'l try to hear you and see you but if your wearing dazzle it probably won't be able to make out shape or direction of movement, making it freeze.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have it all, colors, subdued colors and cammo. I like bright colors for mountaineering and winter, not doing much mountaineering these days. For most outdoor trips I prefer the subdued colors, green, tan, browns. Almost always. I may mix a piece of cammo here and there, no particular reason. I have a Gore-Tex military jacket, issued and not going to waste by using it. I also usually wear a 3 color desert boonie hat, again issued. Light, comfortable and cheap. I also have a few tarps in woodland and a Aussie hootchie in AUSCAM that I use a lot. Tents, some grey and a few bright colors. Depends on where i am going, what I am doing.
I like the Ghillie above, but it must be a bit<h finding the pockets :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That 432 is in Urban Camo for use in the Berlin Garrison. The idea is it's supposed to blend in with an urban back drop.

Dazzle Camo is not supposed to blend in per se but to confuse the observer as to what they are actually looking at.. I you know it's a ship but is it a Cruiser or a corvette type of thing..

I was under the impression that the Berlin Brigade cam as well as blending into an urban environment, was also found to make range estimation very tricky (as well as make counting vehicals tricky for the enemy as the cam was approximately the same distribution on each bit of kit)

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Thank you Toddy, I would like a new light jacket, Harris tweed ready made's have got ridiculous in price so I thought about buying some cloth and having one made.

Hodden Grey should be all natural and I have always wondered about what happens to the wool from black sheep, so I wondered if it would be a viable alternative to Harris tweed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE