Camelia Oil from Axminster

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I think I'm posting this is in the right forum :confused:

Anyway. I bought some camelia oil from axminster tools for my bushcraft knife and axe. I read it was non-toxic and natural so suitable for a bushcraft knife (cutting vegies etc).

I received the oil in the post this morning, and on the label it says this:

Warning: Camelia Oil is non-toxic, non-allergenic, tasteless and odourless

so far so good...

However, due to the inclusion of liquid parafin as a stabilising agent it is harmful to drink or get in eyes.

Now, I'm not going to add this to my tea or use it as eye drops, but is it unsuitable for a bushcraft knife with the liquid parafin in it? Looking at the ingredients, liquid parafin is the main ingredient, the next being camelia oil.

Thanks
Dan

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Keith_Beef said:
Maybe this is just some legalese to keep Axminster on the safe side.

hmmm, perhaps you're right.

I'm sure it means don't take a swig from the bottle, rather than dont chop vegies with a knife that's had a thin coating of it on it.

But best be certain i think.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think the Japanese use it to protect there fine steel cooking knives, so it cant be tat bad. Proberbly just Axminster covering there ****

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
tagnut69 said:
I think the Japanese use it to protect there fine steel cooking knives, so it cant be tat bad. Proberbly just Axminster covering there ****

That they do, but when I bought it I was expecting to receive pure camelia oil. I'm not sure if the japanese have liquid parafin in their camelia oil...?

It is made in japan however and just imported by axminster, so I guess it's ok. I agree they're probably protecting themselves.

I'll just try it out and let you all know in a year if i'm still here or not :eek: :rolleyes:

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
andyn said:
I've been using it on my knives for about 7 months and its done no harm so far....*twitch* *twitch*

When yuo say that, do you mean you've been using camelia oil from axminster or a different one?

F

Fiddleback

I use olive oil to protect the knives I am going to use on food. When camping it saves me having to bring another kind of oil too. However, when I was a kid I ate a lot of those wax gum snacks. I know I swallowed a considerable amount. Still here. Additionally I use paraffin to treat my sheaths with, and if I'm not careful mice will break into my stash and eat it. I asked the guys on another forum about it and they told me paraffin is like candy to a mouse. Strange. You're talking about minute doses too. I wouldn't worry.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
andyn said:
The axminster one. Great product for Carbon steel blades. Not much point using it on stainless steel though, IMO

Cheers. I think i'll just get on and use it then. If you've used it and no problems, i'm guessing its ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE