Calor gas bottle stove (where is it?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've seen somewhere on the net a homemade woodburning stove with chimney made out of an old Calor Gas bottle, one of these.....
cb1.jpg

I remember it had a door on the front and a hotplate on the top when done

But I've searched high and low and can no longer find it :?:

Any Ideas?

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
You could try one of the Yurt manufacturers like Woodland Yurts or Albion Tent Co. I seem to remember they also supplied woodburners for tents etc. Don't know Web sites offhand but will have a look for you.
I've got a stove made from a gas bottle with hinged door and separate air vent. It had a small section of flue to which I have added sections of industrial ducting.It's a bit big to keep moving around but would certainly keep a large yurt or teepee cosy.I used it in my workshop for a few years but it's now sitting unconnected in a fireplace inside.I bought it from a traveller in Norfolk and it cost me £80.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Are you looking at making one or buying one. I know the guy who makes the Albion canvas one, and there are other models far cheaper. Well made and designed stove :biggthump

Cheers
Rich

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dave i was thinking about making one.. and wondered if it was wise to go at something wich might still have flamable gas in it with an angel grider?

what you going to do.. fill it with water??

or just maddave it?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've covered the safety aspects before now on British Blades. There *are* precautions that need to be taken, it isn't necessarily the wisest thing to do. And I'm not liable for other people doing stupid things.
;)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tomtom said:
dave i was thinking about making one.. and wondered if it was wise to go at something wich might still have flamable gas in it with an angel grider?

what you going to do.. fill it with water??

or just maddave it?

filling the cylinder up with water is the trick and leave the valve off whilst you grind. I have an idea on making a small portable forge out of one of the smaller ones too, but that's another project for later on...............

Mad Dave it indeed!! Now where's that angle grinder MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA :naughty:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
These look great fun - spare steel wheel + gas cylinder + brake disc, if only I had the time and skills...

Make sure you let us know how you get on Dave ! Pics will be needed :biggthump

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Where to get empty containers from ?, a half hour drive along a country lane will usually be enough to find a few, plauged with damm fly tippers round here.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
made one about a year ago, filled with water a few times and then left outside for a couple of weeks, i just cut the hole out with a jigsaw, made a bit of a vent on the side put some flue on top and painted the thing with barbacue paint, great for sitting around on a cold evening outside, I`ve also cut one inhalf to practice cooking on a open fire, will post some pics at the weekend. theres a site called stewardwood and they have a DIY guide on wood burners. :eek:):

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
SquirrelBoy said:
These look great fun - spare steel wheel + gas cylinder + brake disc, if only I had the time and skills...

Make sure you let us know how you get on Dave ! Pics will be needed :biggthump

No probs... Once I start I'll document it all :biggthump

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I made a very basic one out of a beer keg a couple of years ago which I gave to a mate, but this thread has put me in the mood to have a go at making a decent one!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
steve a said:
Where to get empty containers from ?, a half hour drive along a country lane will usually be enough to find a few, plauged with damm fly tippers round here.

I came back from Merthyr Mawr with a dinky one that will probably become a small melting furnace (and a couple of carrier bags of rubbish, but they went in the bin).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE