Calor gas bottle stove (where is it?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I wrote up some details on how to make these a while back for some folks who were looking to make them for their moskoselkatans. Anyone wants a copy pm me.

Latest version is being made out of a stainless steel stockpot.

George

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I have always found pipe for the flue to be the hardest part to source free. The best I have found so far is road sign posts, but hav always thought a lamp post would make flues for a good few stoves if I could get one. What have you used?

stuarty

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
Picture089.jpg

here is one i use as a garden heater. And one i just made to practice cooking anyone else got any photos

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
maddave said:
filling the cylinder up with water is the trick and leave the valve off whilst you grind. I have an idea on making a small portable forge out of one of the smaller ones too, but that's another project for later on...............

Mad Dave it indeed!! Now where's that angle grinder MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA :naughty:

Portable forge with a serious burner...!!! I made the burner once, and nearly cremated next doors cat at 50 paces....!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~gnreil/minifor1.shtml

The Eazi-burner is so much fun...!! Emptied a 15kg propane in a very short time playing....!!

Cheers

Pete

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My brother in law made a smoker for doing his trout out of an old wood burning water boiler, and I've just realised that you could easily make one from an old calor bottle.

After all the safety precautions of degassing and filling with water, chop the top off where it starts to curve. A strip of metal is then bolted around the top lip on the outside so that the top can be put back on and will not slip off.

Remove the top valve and replace it with a large butterfly valve so that you can control the fire, and make a hole with a small door at the bottom of the bottle to feed the fire and to put the wood chippings in for smoking. Drill some holes under the strip of metal to locate hanging rods for the fish, and the burner is complete.

I am now on the lookout for a large calor bottle and the help of a mad welder (I know a few of them!!) and a bucket of fish!

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
yes i have made one of these years ago for a caravan

you have to be very carfull as there is still gas in them
best to knock of the tap bit with a sledge hammer taking care that there is plenty of room for the thing to rocket a few hundred yards if there is any gas in them without them hitting anything then once its empty and airedout you can cut it with a torch and weld i handle and hinge on to it for the door the rest depends on how far you want to go

lechem

Feb 24, 2004
guildford
maddave said:
I've seen somewhere on the net a homemade woodburning stove with chimney made out of an old Calor Gas bottle, one of these.....
cb1.jpg

I remember it had a door on the front and a hotplate on the top when done

But I've searched high and low and can no longer find it :?:

Any Ideas?
parp industries in devon 01363866151 make them mine was about £170 .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE