Calling all knife makers - Steak Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Last time i had steak was out in the woods and cut it with my Helle S80, non serrated blade, cut the steak just fine. Just a thought MrMel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a custom, non-serrated carbon steel steak knife. It goes through an inch thick blued rump steak like....a knife through steak :)

Has to be hand washed anyway and doesn't match the rest of the cutlery either - but I like custom one off items - the hand made mugs don't match the hand thrown teapot either (but they are all craftsmen made as one offs and I like that).

That said, stainless would be easier, but you still couldn't put it in a dishwasher if it had wood handles, certain glues etc.

Ask on British Blades - someone will make you a pair I'm sure - they did me

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Last time i had steak was out in the woods and cut it with my Helle S80, non serrated blade, cut the steak just fine. Just a thought MrMel
I usually get well hung say 28 days steak and give it a bash with the tenderizing mallet before I set off and never have any bother cutting it, up to now with a Opinel.
peas carrots mash
ThornsGilldinner.jpg

steak onions
steakonions.jpg

steak onions chips
nandoson.jpg

bride stones steak onions
7afryup.jpg

Attermire
3steakon.jpg

so my vote goes for carbon steel Opinel's
cheers Danny

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Steaks are a fairly modern way of eating beef at the dining table. Red meat was traditionally served as a joint and carved at the table. Steaks started to get served with the rise of restaurant culture in relatively modern times. Steak knives were made with serrated blades because a normal table knife was not sharp enough to cut red meat and a sharpened knife dulled very quickly on ceramic. Even a serrated blade is NOT sharp enough for a a good fillet steak. The pressure required to cut through a properly cooked steak will squeeze the blood and juices out of a piece of meat and leave them swimming in a pool of unexploited flavour on your plate instead of in your greedy gob. The best way to serve steak is on a wooden board with a razor sharp NON-serrated knife which will not tear, abuse and wring your steak dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE