Calling all knife makers - Steak Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I was wondering if someone could quote me on a pair of custom steak knives as me and swmbo have just moved in together THEN realised we don't have any!?

Cheers in advance

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Would something like this fit the bill without the sheath although with the sheath tehy could taken into the wilds

4631519171_04d6a43e5b_b.jpg

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Yeah almost exactly that lol but maybe with a bit of a serated edge to it starting about half way down (or up depending on your perspective) either way towards the pointy end???

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Out of interest (and bearing in mind this is a bush craft site) are you looking for something like the pic below, which is unlikely to actually blend in with your current cutlery, or are you looking for something more matching?

I ask this, as I often go to restaurants who provide steak knifes which look like the ones below, and I think 'how tacky, they could not even be bothered to get matching cutlery, and think I am so stupid that I need a knife with a wooden handle so I realise its different'. Not only that, but wooden handled steak knives are so '70's and out of date (plus I am sat in a restaurant or in my house, and not out in the field).

I say all this bearing in mind that this is a bush craft site, and because of that you may well think that wooden handled knives are your perfect solution.
Its just my two penneth, as if you have any of the traditional cutlery designs, or a more popular contemporary one, there will be steak knives to match what you already have.
Not only that, but bearing in mind again what site we are on, it is also very easy to turn an ordinary table knife into a butter knife. or a matching letter opening etc.
In years gone by, before I got into selling stoves, I did have quite a good sideline in adapting other folks cutlery

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
As per my first post, I realise that I am probably barking up the wrong tree, as you asked for custom knife makers.
BUT, if you intend to ever have more than just two of you at the table, then obviously two steak knives will not be enough (we have twelve of everything here, as we are sociable lol) unless you want your guests to feel left out!

Either way, just in case you realise you have another item of cutlery missing, here is a very blurred pic (I have just have to take a picture of a photo with my Iphone) of some items which are easy to produce.

CutleryIMG_0783.jpg

On the left is a pastry fork made for a left handed client. This simply involves buying double stamped items (from the likes of 'direct cutlery.co.uk') and grinding off one sides stamping. then reverse the profile of the fork in a wooden template (to make it left handed) and then buff to a shine.

On the top is a butter knife, which is simply a ground down and polished dessert knife. For letter openers use a table knife.

Below that is a jam knife made from a long drinks spoon. Long drinks spoons are also good for turning into olive/pepper/pickle spoons (with suitable holes in their bowl)

Last of all is a mustard spoon made from a ground down coffee knife.

Just food for thought for anyone looking in.

Last edited:

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I was looking for someone to make steak knives, don't really mind about design as I would leave that down to the artist (I consider knife making and design an art yes), I don't have people over that often for steak so two would be fine and we actually found some steak knives (in the cereal box of all places lol) but they are flimsy and tacky looking.
I would still be interested in two custom knives for romantic steak dinners with the missus though!!!

I was looking for someone to make steak knives, don't really mind about design as I would leave that down to the artist (I consider knife making and design an art yes), I don't have people over that often for steak so two would be fine and we actually found some steak knives (in the cereal box of all places lol) but they are flimsy and tacky looking.
I would still be interested in two custom knives for romantic steak dinners with the missus though!!!

I would go to British Blades and ask Owen Bush

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php

http://www.owenbush.co.uk/

fairly certain he makes eating irons

ATB

Duncan

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ray the knife I posted is a bit older in design that the 1970's it's a 15th century eating knife I made for a reenactor friend of mine and the blade was baought like that.

Owen would be a good bet.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi brancho.
I was not passing comment on the knife you made, which I can see has had a lot of work put into it.
I was trying to refer (and possibly failing) to the steak knifes which you can often get in a restaurant which do have wooden handles and don't match the rest of the cutlery (which is seen as very bad taste to cutlery lovers).
The main and obvious difference from theirs to yours is that the restaurant ones have totally washed out manky handles, and flimsy serrated blades.
Please do not think I was rubbishing your knife, but merely using it as an example. Hopefully you have been to restaurants and have seen examples of the kind of knife I refer too, so will get my point.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Left handed pastry fork????? :D

Thats the funniest thing I've heard in years. Surely such a pretentious pseud as to require such a thing is an endangered species??

Oh btw - the stuff you show in the picture appears to be flatware and not in fact cutlery?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi British Red.

As for flatware V cutlery, they are really the same thing and in modern terms the main difference will be which side of the Atlantic you hale from. But then words do change meanings in society......After all, how many folks would tell you celibate means to go without sexual relations! Whereas in fact it originally and correctly means to be unmarried, with 'chased' meaning to go without sex (as in chastity belt)!
I suppose its a bit like the tines on a fork, or the basin in a bathroom.......When I hear a customer talk of prongs or sinks I don't correct them, as that would seem a bit arrogant on my part IMHO.

Oh the pastry fork is MINE BTW.....But maybe you would rather I used a normal one upside down or back to front! It may surprise you to hear I use pens in my left hand too, as they just seem to work better that way, with me being left handed :)!

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
After talking with you about your knife, and restaurant steak knives, I was invited out for a family meal on Friday night.
It did bring a smile to my face to see a selection of mis-matched cutlery on the table, which was followed later by the appearance of three non matching steak knives........

Two were the usual washed out wooden jobs, and I had a plastic handled one LOL (I wonder if that made my more up market!). It just made me giggle, and reminded me of this thread! In true fashion to that type of restaurant, the steaks were only just OK, and the potatoes were cold, and had to be sent back hahahahhahahahahahaa.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I actually like the steak knives you get in pubs with wooden handles that is kind of the thing I want!!!!
But as to my original question I'm getting a destinct feeling the answer is NO!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE