"Calcium carbide lighter"?, Do they still exist?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just wondering if you can still buy these...

shown in an old Survival book I have:
("Survival" by Len Cacutt page: 139)

Calcium Carbide lighter, when water is added to calcium carbide it produces acetylene gas, which can be ignited with a spark.

To me it looks like a metal cylinder about the size and shape of a "C" cell battery, with a flint wheel, (like on a Zippo).

I'm guessing they're outlawed or something stupid, but can anyone (excuse the pun:rolleyes:) enlighten me?

and if all else fails...can I buy calcium carbide?:confused:

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
just been doing some research into it and i gotta add, BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!! CaC2 itself is a risky chemical but the Acetylene gas it produces is extremely volatile!

ATB
TJ

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The carbide lamps sell for about £10 on ebay. I used to use them a lot when caving, they are bright and give a really hot flame (think hot enough to melt silver solder) We used them many times, with no problems. getting hold of the carbide 'rock' may be your biggest problem. Tou might try a dive/caving shop.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
yea i used to buy it at the old yha shop in manchester. it was used in old bike and car lamps too so you might try sites related to stuff for old cars. The lamps had a screw that you turned to adjust the rate water dripped onto the carbide to produce a constant gas flow for the lamp.It goes off quite quickly if not sealed in a dry airtight environment. it makes your hands stink if you get it on them.As a kid we used to put it in an old glass dimpled screw top corona bottle(thick glass for fizzy lemonade) add water and shake..The pressure would soon build to the point that the acetylene gas would cause the bottle to explode so violent is the reaction... dont try this at home kids. An interesting variant was a birthday candle alight on the top of the bottle... makes you realise how volatile a air /acetylene mix is... happy days! i am probably one of the reasons it is now no longer easily available....

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
As kids we had a large paint can (4-5 liters) with a little water on the bottom and a 1 cm hole drilled on the side. You dropped in a piece of carbide, pressed the lid on hard. Then you lit a match and crouched down beside the can and put the match next to the hole. Boom! The lid flew really high and the flame was beautiful! Sometimes you didn't crouch low enough and your eyebrows would get burnt away.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The carbide lamps sell for about £10 on ebay. I used to use them a lot when caving, they are bright and give a really hot flame (think hot enough to melt silver solder) We used them many times, with no problems. getting hold of the carbide 'rock' may be your biggest problem. Tou might try a dive/caving shop.

yep i used one to, a leaking seal wasnt funlol, but they do produce a lovely warm light. bit of a faff compared to modern lights now though

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I still have a couple I did a restoration job on - Premier Carbide Cap Lamps. You can't buy the lights new any longer but the spares are still available from Caving Supplies. Buy an old one on ebay and do it up. I also bought a big tin of carbide at the same time. The Premiers come with a flint lighter set in the reflector.

Richard

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I still have a couple I did a restoration job on - Premier Carbide Cap Lamps. You can't buy the lights new any longer but the spares are still available from Caving Supplies. Buy an old one on ebay and do it up. I also bought a big tin of carbide at the same time. The Premiers come with a flint lighter set in the reflector.

Richard

mine was a premier :D

and caving supplies are excellent, good service, knowleadgeable and fast shipping

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
My grandfather was a coal miner and he had probably a dozen of the old carbide miners lamps. I have 2 or 3 still. His were mostly manufactured by Autolight. I think some were Edison. I used to love them for fishing trips. The reason was you could fill them with carbide / water and they would run all night. (we would get up several times during the night and check our bank lines.) We never turned them off. Just sit them on the picnic table, and left them burning. We had light when we go up, no fumbling around.

Another real plus, was with the open flame, they were constantly drawing insects, just like an electric light, but all the bugs were killed instantly by the flame. Yes, Acetylene gas is dangerous. (if confined) In the manner that these lamps were constructed, they are not dangerous. The biggest drawback to them is that the smelll of them operating is unpleasant.

All of the American manufacture of them ceased probably 50 or more years ago. May years after they were out of production, I found one for sale in a hardware store that was brass, like the American ones, but was made in Czechoslovakia. I bought it and it proved to be a good one. Equal to the earlier ones that I had but just not as nicely finished.

The good news was that rock carbide was very cheap. And would last a long time in an airtight container. If the air got in it would turn to "slack" (the miner term), which was a fine and utterly useless powder. The bad news is that it is no longer readily available. The last time i looked, it was not to be had, except from chemical supply houses at an exorbitant price. My beloved carbide lights are now just conversation pieces.

If you got one and can find the carbide here is a tip on lighting it. (all the ones I ever had came with a striker built into the reflector.) Put in the carbide, put in the water. Set it to drip at one of the lower numbers, like 2 for a starter. wait until you can hear and smell it producing gas. Now here is the trick. cup your hand over the reflector, with the bottom part of the palm resting on the striker wheel. wait a couple of seconds, then rapidly pull your hand down off of the reflector, spinning the striker wheel with it as you do so. This will throw a spark into the reflector which is filled with gas. It will light every time with a sharp "pop." Always impresses the fishing buddies.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE