Buying 'stuff'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
I can see how it happened now, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

First I found bushcraftUK. Discussions in this kit forum prompted me to buy some kit. Quite a bit of kit really. I decided that most of my hill-walking kit wasnt appropriate for bushcraft use. I bought new stuff. Lots of it was olive green:rolleyes: Group buys, classifieds, reviews. I really have no will power and have always been a gear junkie. Its my 'special' weakness :D

BushcraftUK led me to BritishBlades. Oh dear. That forum filled me with a strange desire to own sharp things. Suddenly my Mora looked lonely. I bought it some friends and even made it a couple of friends too :lmao: If I get any more knives it will start to be a collection 'proper'

BritishBlades led me to CandlePowerForums. Can you see where this next paragraph is heading? Bright things. Really bright things. After managing very well for years with Petzl headlamps and various battered Maglites I discovered that there were so many -better- things available. The forum mottos are 'Hang on to your wallet' and 'When in doubt.... Buy both' Its not the safest place for me to lurk! Naturally I've ordered two torches (Mmmmmm lumens....) and I'm scared that my wife might actually FIND OUT how much they cost....

<Stands up>
My name is Simon and I'm a gear addict
<Sits down>

They say that accepting you have a problem is the first step toward cure :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
:lmao:

After reading your confession, I must say I think you are lost mate ... Accepting you've got a problem won't help you much I'm afraid. But ... don't fear my friend, you're not alone

Your weakness is something common amongst bushcrafters. Everyone says who's not, is still in denial ... ;)

I don't like knives or green kit ... :rolleyes:

I wish you all the best with the coping of this problem, and hope you'll find professional help :p
Be strong!! And if you ever need any help, or want a listening ear - drop me a PM ;)

:D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
MagiKelly said:
Simon don't worry over at Song of the Paddle we will welcome you with open arms, even with your addiction :D

Dude, that was wicked... he's going to buy a load of canoes, duluthpack and trailers now... :lmao:

On a more serious note, Simon... have you seen http://www.sunseeker.com yet? great site, lots of gear you just "can't live without" ;)

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Hi my name is Ian and I too am a gear junky.
my addiction has become so bad that I've been eyeing up post offices and old grannies on pension day to feed my addiction.
Is there a gear addict anom in south wales

Ian

RGRBOX

Forager
My name is Mike B, and I am a Gear addict.... I've been a gear addict for more then 25 years... it started when my dad would bring me some of his army kit home.. then when I joined, I collected enough kit for 10 people over my ten years in the Army... now the worst thing has happened... I've become a gear retailer.. and everyday, I sit around with my addiction all around me.. a worst yet, i help others buy more and more gear.... my life is domed, and my wife is getteing ****** off at me... I've already filled my garage, my office, and two other rooms with pack, bags, and more... I have more then 20 back packs, and around 20 sleeping bags. three water filters, and countess, clothing, and boots. I have more cooking stoves then anyman will ever need. and the list goes on and on... I accually spent a year with a pro about my adiction, and she told me that I had bigger fish to worry about... anyway, you aren't alone.. and you will never be alone... for I willl always be a gear addict...

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
<<My name is Simon and I'm a gear addict>>

Welcome brother.

I have enough kit to survive a Nuclear Winter – last time I stood on grass was cutting it last summer!

I’m Happy yet Sad!

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
...nor am I, for I have the equipment of several Swedish soldiers to accompany me.

You are never alone with army surplus. :eek:

Jim.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gentlemen I thank you for your support.

<stands up>
It has now been 6 days since I last wasted money on gear!
<sits down>

Magikelly. What were you thinking of? How the heck do I sneak one of those into my house? :lmao:

Squidders. Thanks for the heads up but happily out of my budget :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Simon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hello, my name is Brian and I am a Gear addict. Group buys are hard to resist with all the great deals that keep being offered. Kit chatter just makes my palms itch and I feel the need to spend money on everything that I don't already have.
Thanks for listening, I feel better for having shared that with others.

Brian

Aug 9, 2005
>stands up<

Hi. My name is Tom and I'm a... oh wow look at that tarp: gotta have it - is that undercover going to fit my Hennessy? Cool. Ooooh that stove's 15gm lighter than my old one.

>sits down. Hugs knees. Waits for delivery of kit just ordered<

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now your problem is...lack of diversification......

Sleeping bags...6

Axes....8 (not counting mauls, wedges, cheap hatchets, froes, kindling knives, brush cutters, bill hooks.)

Chainsaws...3

Knives...how the hell should I know? More than 30

Torches.......20?

Lanterns....well, battery, 5, oh and a couple of paraffin, Coleman dual fuel of course...4 candle one...6 oil lamps.....

Water filters...Well, do you mean portables of base camp 4 element ones?

Waterproofs...6?

Boots....6 pairs?

PSKs? enough to fill about a suitcase with components!

Then of course we diversify hobbies....

Rifles ....5

Bows...2

X-bows...3

etc. etc.......

Feeling better yet? :lmao: :eek:

Worrying thing is it all gets used.......however I may have to stop work soon to accomodate gear usage and hobby time :eek:

Red

RGRBOX

Forager
British Red said:
Now your problem is...lack of diversification......

Sleeping bags...6

Axes....8 (not counting mauls, wedges, cheap hatchets, froes, kindling knives, brush cutters, bill hooks.)

Chainsaws...3

Knives...how the hell should I know? More than 30

Torches.......20?

Lanterns....well, battery, 5, oh and a couple of paraffin, Coleman dual fuel of course...4 candle one...6 oil lamps.....

Water filters...Well, do you mean portables of base camp 4 element ones?

Waterproofs...6?

Boots....6 pairs?

PSKs? enough to fill about a suitcase with components!

Then of course we diversify hobbies....

Rifles ....5

Bows...2

X-bows...3

etc. etc.......

Feeling better yet? :lmao: :eek:

Worrying thing is it all gets used.......however I may have to stop work soon to accomodate gear usage and hobby time :eek:

Red

That's good.. I can't wait to do the same.. problem I'll have to wait until I retire, because I need to keep working to buy more kit... My list is about 5 times longer then yours... I sell the stuff, is my big problem.. so I test everything..

iamwill

Apr 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
<stands up>
My name is Will and I am a kit addict. I also seem to have developed a worrying habit of sharpening things, this is making my wife rather uncomfortable. Stropping my knives before I go to bed and such like. The only thing that stops me emptying my bank account is that we have our first baby on the way in 4 months! Now that’s worrying! Then again I can buy the baby all the best kit can’t I? Off roading prams with big spikey wheels, super lite prams, wind proofs water proofs, those I can buy every couple of months….start gibbering, mouse hand twitching
<sits down>
:lmao:

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
I have a similar problem. Mine however has three parts:

First, I get interested in a bit of kit and have to research it heavily dedicating hourse to the pursuit of being better informed about the bits I need when I should be doing more important things like finishing my degree or organising a job.

Secondly, I then spend money on the stuff....

Thirdly, because of cost, lack of what I want or how much fun the process looks, I often end up concluding that I'd be much better making my own. Yeah, I knock a nice possibles pouch off my list but I only then replace it with awls, stich marking wheels, whole shoulders of leather and dyes and oils galore. My wish list is a mile long. The only safety for me is my empoverished student status!

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE