buying DIY yurt stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire

Hi, could someone recomend where i could buy the things needed to make a yurt, me and hubby are going to give it a go, helllllllllllp, this could cause a divorce or make us stronger i guess, ive seen some khana rods on ebay at 99 p a rod, is that a good price, thankyou for any help, lorraine x

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Buy THE book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Yurt-Handbook-Paul-King/dp/1899233083

then keep an eye out on eBay as usefull parts do come up from time to time. Saved searches with email notifications are good. I saw a set of walls for a 16 foot yurt go for less than £100 & have wished I bought them more than once.

I have not got one yet but my sewing is getting better so I want to make one some time. Search on here as there are a few home built ones on BCUK.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a mate who's on about making one, he bought a very heavy duty indeed Singer sewing machine (that was from somewhere that made sails for boats) for £30 and a load of sailcloth.
Knowing him he won't have paid much for that either.

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
Thankyou both, i will buy th book now, but ive got a phobia about sewing machines, lol hid in the loos at school at every sewing lesson, job for OH .
I have short term memory problems, is there a quick way of finding threads and posts ive added too please, thanks lorraine x

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
is there a quick way of finding threads and posts ive added too please, thanks lorraine x

At the top right of the page there's a bit that says Settings, click on that and if someone has replied to a thread since you have last looked it will show up on that page. If there's been no replies since you last looked you go from that settings page and look down the left side of the page till you see the Subscriptions part.
Click on the bit that says List Subscriptions and it will show any thread you have contributed to. Unless you have Unsubscribed from that thread I think, not sure about that bit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The geodesic domes are heated with log burners inside too. The one I used was a very good cooker as well. The only addition we thought it could have used was a water tank fitted to one side of the stove :)
Hot water on tap, all mod cons :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The geodesic dome is as strong, if not stronger, than the yurt. It doesn't need quite such skillfull woodworking or sewing to make. It does need accurate cutting of materials, and it's very worth while planning before you do any real determination of size on just *where* you want the stove, and the stove pipe to exit, the inside.
It's as flexible a living space and it's actually easier to create individual spaces since you can hang dividing screens from the pipes/joints.

The Yurt on the other hand needs a proper framed doorway, that's what keeps the walls in position, and it needs that wall to be strong enough to carry the roof poles and the weight of the eye of heaven.
Nothing says you have to have perfection though, or a circle come to that.

JohnC and his family made their own, and John posted a thread about the construction. It's well up to his usual high standard of workmanship :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The geodesic domes are heated with log burners inside too. The one I used was a very good cooker as well. The only addition we thought it could have used was a water tank fitted to one side of the stove :)
Hot water on tap, all mod cons :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

The works of Richard Buckminster Fuller are a bit of an interest of mine, I don't suppose you could post any photos you have (if indeed you have any) of this setup could you?
Regards Scott.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
demographic, It's not got a wood burnwer but here are some pics of my GeoDome
Farm.jpg

Glasto1.jpg

Glasto2.jpg

Glasto3.jpg

lollywilli, If you would like to have a look at above dome I will be up on my dads farm for the august bank holiday weeked and you are more than welcome to come along. Farm is in south shropshire, between Kidderminster, Bridgnorth and Ludlow. Drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers

Grebby

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
Thanks grebby have pmd you so gratefull for all the help and advise, im swaying very much to the dome, aslong as i can have a girley floor, dont fancy munching on spiders for supper whilst asleep x!!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been involved in making two yurts and one chorama duh.

Apart from the ring in the centre, neither of them need advanced woodworking skills. The door is just a strong rectangle. I'd say one of the wonderful things about yurts is that you can measure and make as you go along, no precision cutting required.

The hardest part about making a yurt is finding the timber. Friends who have made and lived in multiple yurts ended up using sawn pine for the latest small one (oh, the shame), but it still works just fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What's a chorama ? and how different is a yurt from a ger to build?

Grebby that looks incredibly spacious :D The one I used was head height clearance at the walls and no where near as complex looking. The poles just slotted into holes drilled in heavy water pipe and had split pins to keep them in place.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. found a cracking site explaining it :D
http://www.ernak-horde.com/Nomad_tents.html

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
It is a bit on the large side.... Approx 7.2m diameter and 4ish high at the centre. I made it strong enough to hang my 5 person mexican hammock in but I'm well known for over engineering things. I reckon it would easily support a tonne :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a bu**er to put up but once done nothing short of a direct lightening strike should cause failure. It's also not exectly small when in parts but you can sit 30 or so people in it at once.

I was thinking about putting a 2nd floor in at some point but that can wait for a while yet.

Cheers

Grebby

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What's a chorama ? and how different is a yurt from a ger to build?
p.s. found a cracking site explaining it :D
http://www.ernak-horde.com/Nomad_tents.html

That's a good site. The pic of the chorama makes the structure very clear.

My friends who lived for years in yurts started with one large yurt.

Then they added two small satellite yurts, connected directly to the main yurt, to use as bedrooms. They used pallets covered with rugs and damp-proof membrane for the floor. They also added a 'porch' for muddy boots etc.

They live in Lancashire, and found with the very damp climate that they had to keep a stove going year round in the yurt to prevent problems from damp. This requires a lot of fuel!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE