Buying a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theorsmeister

I already got a couple of knives, but they're carbon.

I am gonna buy a stainless knife and I was wondering if I should spend £30 and get a Lap Puuko, or spend more and get something else.

If the answer is the latter, recommendations would be apprectiated.

I want something with a flat grind blade, I love nordic knives and lap knives

Cheers!!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
By flat grind do you mean like a kitchen knife tends to be wher the blade tapers from the spine to near the edge where you have a seconday bevel or a knife that has a single flat bevel per side?

EDIT: oh wait you mentioned one with a single bevel from half way down (though I thought it was a slight hollow grind).

Convex rather then any type of flat but the fallkniven range of knives are great strainless knives and worth a look at. For a saber grind stainless knife I'd go for a EKA nordic knife but that just because I don't like the one you mentioned.

T

theorsmeister

Cheers Andy,

only probs is I've never got that much spare cash, and Fallkniven knives arent cheap, eh!! Might have a look at em and save a little!!!

Altho I have to say I have had a look and borrowed a m8 of mines lap puuko and I do love em, I was wondering if any1 had sum 1st hand knowledge of the strength and longevity of one. Sum1 who has had 1 for a while!

Cheers anyway

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Brusletto's knives are good, maybe a little expensive for what they are. :) I have a few and have made a few of just blades.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Again, www.ragweedforge.com. My keyboard is developing a memory for Ragnar's webpage. You answered your own question. You've handled a few and love them. So scratch the itch now, or later. Are we talking true puukkos or just scandinavian knives? The puukko is a supreme woodcarving and general utility blade.In fact, I think puukko means wood carver. It was developed in the north, so it reflects the real world there. The handle which defies every given for a safe blade IS a safe blade. When your wearing mittens and cold, drawing a knife toward you and not away gives greater control. Reverse grip a ''puukko , blade down, edge toward you. Notice how naturally your thumb rides the angled steel pommel? The Sammi people figured this stuff out a long time before 'Stabbing Times' hit the magazine racks. Trees don't exactly grow to the size of Yggdrassil up there, but they also have the Lueko for bigger chores. The sheath is superb. It's so deep you have to really work hard at losing your knife. Again. Lapps figured out what works staring at the south end of a north bound reindeer. It's also very quick drawing ( assuming your not a lefty) by grabbing the scabbard, twisting it to the side and extracting the knife with your right hand. I've done it faster than a obnoxious kid with a filipino butterfly knife- and did :cool: The blades usually come with a fine secondary bevel. Fine for rough work, but for carving most people profile it to a straight grind. The points can sometimes come through a little rough, and they all seem to be off symmetry a little. These are largely handmade, so it's like evening out your sideburns shaving. The metal is superb. I am fascinated by Oetsi, the Italian Alp mummy. I figure if he was alive today he'd fit himself up with a puukko and a GB or Wett axe.

T

theorsmeister

Cheers guys,

Chris is right, puukos are great!! and i did mean a true puuko.

I am gonna have to get one!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE