Busy day in the forge

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys. I had a relatively busy day in the forge today and managed to do a couple of projects I had in mind.

First up; a couple of square bar pokers and a hold fast made from an old pry bar.

image.jpg

Both pokers have a short twist in the middle. One has a wrapped rats tail style handle while the other features my first attempt at a leaf style handle.
Pretty basic stuff but always nice to make.

Live been wanting to make a hold fast for some time. It's like having a third hand in the forge. Very useful. I burnt through a lot of fuel to get the 1" round hot enough but it will be worth it.

Secondly is another poker but this time with a round handle and it's own stand alone stand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is another project I had in mind for a while. It's turned out rather well but I need to figure out an easier way to hold the long stock while forging one end. What I really need s an overhead arrangement with a chain or something.

This is my attempt at a camping buddy. This is a stand you poke in the ground and then you can either use it to hold a pot at one end or skewer something at the other end with the prongs.
It's quite a nifty design actually. Though upon putting it away I discovered that if you put the skewer through the hole on the rest, it doesn't sit flat together. Something it will be rectifying tomorrow.

image.jpg

it definitely works

image.jpg

Lastly, this was more a welding project really. A simple stand to hold unopened letters.

image.jpg

this works nicely too.

image.jpg

you will find these in the makers sales shortly. You can also see all these and more at my Feather Forge blog http://andrewmckenziefeatherforge.blogspot.co.uk/

All the best
Andy

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Well it's not just for that. Typically one uses it to hold anvil swage tools. These have a square shank which drops into the hole and various shaped faces for shaping/ cutting metal as required. That particular anvil is my second anvil. It is heading to a new home once I can get back to Dorset. But it's too darn heavy for me to lift by myself so it's resting there. Lol.

Cheers

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It works using friction. Give it a whack on the top and this sets it in place. ;)

Elen, if none of these take your fancy, shoot me a pm with your designs.

Cheers Kev.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just uploaded another video - just a warts and all tour of my small shed. Seeing as some one expressed an interest in knowing what I use. I've also been watching videos by a Dutch smith who does workshop tours as well which I find interesting.

This is by no means as good as my previous video and my first time actually talking to the camera! Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYwr_-j18Do

Watch - enjoy. Or at least try to.

Cheers
Andy

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Just uploaded another video - just a warts and all tour of my small shed. Seeing as some one expressed an interest in knowing what I use. I've also been watching videos by a Dutch smith who does workshop tours as well which I find interesting.

This is by no means as good as my previous video and my first time actually talking to the camera! Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYwr_-j18Do

Watch - enjoy. Or at least try to.

Cheers
Andy

I can't see your video. It's private it says. You hiding something;)

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
Awesome work... Would.love to have a go at iron work?? Smithing???? Always had an interest in it.just never knew where to start.. Lol..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE