Bushy knife in CPM 3V super tough steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
This is my bushy knife made of CPM 3V steel, linen micarta riveted with nickel silver rod. I heat treated the 3V to maximum toughness and will be testing it soon with wood cutting and batonning to see how well it does compared to a standard knife with an O1 blade. CPM 3V is the toughest steel used in cutlery applications. It is a powder metallurgy steel with vanadium for wear resistance. I have let the blade with a "bark" finish.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shing,

Look forward to seeing your report.....the "full grind" didn't quite talk to me....that though...if it holds an edge as well as it should...yup :) . Be interested to know how difficult it is to sharpen too.

Reckon you could do one in ironwood with green liners (or black failing that)

Red

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
thanks guys, I used CPM 3V because its tougher than CPM 30V. Its not stainless like 30V but I didn't want a stainless knife but a very tough one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You and your quest for toughness ;) :D

What is it like to sharpen a single bevel with that much vanadium? Not to mention, what was it like to grind on!?! :eek: Kudos for giving it a try!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shing,

That makes me want it all the more...tough is GOOD! Bags the prototype when you finish testing

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE