Bushy carving set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I'd say it would be useful: if you got a lot of use out of it, who would want to carry something they only used occationally. Also they are designed to be used in conjunction with a vice of similar, the possibility of gouging out a chunk of hand would be a little too high for me to risk as I am hopelessly clumsy.

Greg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There was a thread on here quite a while ago about a carvin' jack which was a multi bladed knife and carving tool set, a bit like a SAK on steroids!

jack_open.jpg

carvin' Jack.....or some such thing!

Hoodo's got one! :D

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Tony said:
There was a thread on here quite a while ago about a carvin' jack which was a multi bladed knife and carving tool set, a bit like a SAK on steroids!

Hoodo's got one! :D

And you can get them from axminster as well now !!! :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I'm not in Hoodoo's league but then who is?

I own a Carvin' Jack. Its a great little pocket tool. It comes razor sharp and has an excellant performed strop suppiled to maintain the various edges. I highly recommend one. I carry mine when a fixed blade is less acceptable. It is still a locking blade although most people would see it as a tool first and foremost

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Wayne said:
I'm not in Hoodoo's league but then who is?

Aw shucks Wayne. :eek: I'm really an amateur compared to serious carvers (and a lot of folks here) but I appreciate the compliment. :D

The carvin' jack is a spoon carving demon. For bowls and noggins and such though, you need something that will go a bit deeper. :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have the Carving Jack too. Only problem I found was the instruction leaflet that came with it was in everything except English. Good job I know what I'm doin'.

Eric

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Not at all, if one tool is better for the job, and its light and compact enough to be carried then its should be included, just like an axe or saw. I'm sure the multitool carriers would like the option of a chisel and gouge as well as a screwdriver or tin opener. Actually, it sounds like a challenge for me to make one!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
tomtom said:
:rolleyes: suprise..

Shing i have to say.. the idea of a set of knives/tools just for carving, imho, defeats the point.. know more, carry LESS

tomtom surely that's not the point of bushcraft?

I thought knowing more allows you to carry less if you want... which means you have more room for things you want, not the things you think you should need.

I can't canoe so I don't carry one... less knowledge... a lot less to carry ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE