bushmoot: natural medicine for women

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
hi
im a naturopath who is going to do a talk at the bushmoot for women!
if there any ladies who have requests
let me know. i will be covering how too`s / natural recipies/ first aid. for instance, comfrey ointment, oil for infections ( brillant when i had minor motorbike accident and cut my knee badly in a hot hot tropical climate) i want to explain how to make simple and effective remedies.
please let me hear what you would like too.

carla

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I know very little about naturopthy so this may be a stupid suggestion but I'd be interested to know what alternatives could be used in place of the traditional first aid kit, or even to compliment it. Perhaps a selection of staple ingredients that could be used in remedies or recipes, for problems such as pain control, dealing with infection & wound or tissue repair, to stem bleeding or curb diarrhea?

Something I could collect together & keep in the house or car for emergencies. Would that be possible?

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i dont really see what comfrey ointment has to do with women only. it is brilliant stuff for general skin healing. rashes, insect bites, grazes etc. one thing to watch though is that wounds dont stay too wet and get a chance to scab.
wouldn't it make more sense to do a more inclusive talk for everybody? after all, i think it would be a bit rude for someone else to do a fire making workshop for men. so where is the difference? having said that, if there are any natural remedies where they work differently for women then for men, it will be important to educate both sexes to the fact? after all, men will give their remedies to women if they think it will help. and they wont want to give something to someone if there is a posibility it might harm them, or work differently than intended due to body differences.
that is my thought on the subject anyway.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Irishlostboy

In the past there has been very little aimed directly at women at the moot. After all it is a boyfest, knives, fires, sharp sticks!

I dont think Carla will exclude you at all, its focusing that there is other stuff and interests. After all it is mother who usually ends up saying 'dont cry dear, mother will kiss it better'. You could offer to be the the first aid demo. I can see it now, you are naked in the woods surrounded by 30 bushcrafter ladies all with knives about their person... scary!

Sandsnakes

I tell you what come to my Bush Medicine session instead.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think it's great, we're going to have workshops for all, there are some things that are specific to women though and it's good that someone has offered to share that knowledge, it's an opportunity for the ladies to ask questions and talk to another woman that's going to empathise and understand.

There's other natural medicine workshops taking place as well so everyone will have the oppertunity to ask questions and enjoy some new knowledge thanks to Sandsnakes and Carla :You_Rock_

So, if there's anything specific ladies get it down here, if it's a bit personal i'm sure that Carla won't mind some PM's with questions/thoughts so that she can prepare.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
i dont really see what comfrey ointment has to do with women only. it is brilliant stuff for general skin healing. rashes, insect bites, grazes etc. one thing to watch though is that wounds dont stay too wet and get a chance to scab.
wouldn't it make more sense to do a more inclusive talk for everybody? after all, i think it would be a bit rude for someone else to do a fire making workshop for men. so where is the difference? having said that, if there are any natural remedies where they work differently for women then for men, it will be important to educate both sexes to the fact? after all, men will give their remedies to women if they think it will help. and they wont want to give something to someone if there is a posibility it might harm them, or work differently than intended due to body differences.
that is my thought on the subject anyway.

Being sat in a group of women talking about 'undercarriage and plumbing issues' won't be much fun though eh :lmao:

Oh, no offence Carla :) Best of luck with the workshop :)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I hope this isn't silly but could we actually see the plants that are being talked about not just the end result, oil ect.. I would love to go out and see if we could find some of the ingredients as well :D I'm very interested in natural first aid :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good :D
I'm looking forward to this. How about things such as anti inflammatories, not just for cramp and headaches but for bites, burns and the like? Stuff suitable for kids too would be useful. Seasonality of foods and resources too maybe ?

cheers,
Toddy

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
In the past there has been very little aimed directly at women at the moot. After all it is a boyfest, knives, fires, sharp sticks!

ya, but no one promotes knives, fires etc, by saying "fire for men" or anything like that. in fact i bet if you did you would be sued.
maybe i am getting it wrong, but from the example carla is giving in the original post with comfrey, it reads like "natural medicine course for women", which is a different thing from a "natural medicine course for feminine-specific ailments". the first one is obviously sexist. the second one is one that everyone should make an effort to learn.

i am never popular when i point out female-sexism. deliberatly implied or not. but i just cannot resist. its one of my bug-bears. i guess i have had too much second wave feminist types who think all men are evil and that women cannot be sexist. so i am sorry if these observations offend anyone.

someone here asked for more infor on the plants themselves, and not on the creams made from them?
comefrey is a common plant in ireland, and probably the UK too. grows in woodland, and quite often on the verges of coutry roads. if you need some comfrey treatment for your skin, just mush up some of the leaves and apply to the area. for more info directly relating to comfrey try these sites.
http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/article.php?artid=61
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey
http://newcrop.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/comfrey.html

most things that come as oils and creams can be harvested and used in many more ways from your local area, if they grow there, and is something well worth keeping in mind.
comefrey is so useful though that i carry a tube of cream in my pack at all times. it is really effective.

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
hi there
after many days..... gulp...even weeks...

a reply to the comments about the talk i am going to do at the bushmoot.
absolutely in no way do i wish to exclude anyone.
the title was suggested for women who may not be interested to come along. thats all.

thank you for the suggestions.
i am pressing herbs so people can go home and look on their own patch for the plants i will be talking about.
last week i stripped some white willow bark to use as a pain killer ( its what they used to synthesise aspirin) i had some branches which i had just cut out of my garden.
i soaked it overnight, then boiled it.
boy did it taste bitter....and the tooth ache had gone anyway.
in other times i guess i would have gone to a herbalist, they would have it made up or be quicker than i was!

carla

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
my wife is coming to the moot, and I for one am please that there will be something there that she is interested in. (wil you be dealing with ways to poison In-laws, ;) you could get rid of a headache I've had for 23 years if you do :)

carla

Apr 17, 2008
shropshire
ok will bring the comfrey root, it is in flower at the moment, have to wait till they die off till i dig any roots....should be perfect by august.
carla

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Carla,

are you still up for a meditiation session in the woods, its unique opertunity? If so should I bring my stool?

Sandsnakes

Rod-the-elder

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Carla,

are you still up for a meditiation session in the woods, its unique opertunity? If so should I bring my stool?

Sandsnakes

Rod-the-elder

Now that might be interesting. I tend to try to find time in the early morning before the camp wakes up. Go and sit somewhere quiet... Is it open or a private session?

Mark

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Carla and I were considering holding group sessions, but were not sure if anyone but us would be interested. So I guess yes but watch this space. Depends on how many others want to join or learn.

So lets us know if you are interested.

Sandsnakes

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ok all,

looking at this who wants a couple of meditation/basic chanting lessons?

Meditation and chanting is a basic woods skill, quiet mind, reducing pain and fatigue, relaxing aching muscles.

Medition/basic chanting is not linked to any one religon or faith system. If we get enough people we could do a chant around the fire one night and everyone would get the feel of a genuine neolithic experiance.

With meditation and chanting blood pressure and cholesterol levels have been shown to drop as has anxiety and panic attacks.

Rod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE