Bushmoot 2007

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi

Quick questions for Bushmoot regular's!

Are there sufficient trees for hammocks/tarps etc?
Fire wood, is this supplied or is it best to bring a load up?
How far is the parking from the tress/camping, will I need a wheel barrow for my beer?
Open fires anywhere or in designated spots, if so would an 'environmental fire place/box be acceptable?
Is there access to water/river (I have a home made coracle I could bring)

Cheers Nigel
:newbie:

Hey Nigel,
Not a regular yet, but I can answer your questions;-

Trees for hammocking - Oh yes, plenty
Firewood - See above - provided your not having a roaring inferno every night, bring your own for the first night if its damp
Parking proximity - Depends, some places right next to the trees, others a good trek away, arrive early to avoid dissapointment
Open fires - most places but be sensible, coupled with the firewood comment above
Water - There are standpipes for pottable water and a shower/ablutions block. For river access, I would urge great caution, the tidal/river flows are horrendous.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Its going to be my first Bushmoot this year :) I'll be expecting to learn and do a lot! Am I right in thinking most of the workshops are free? I think I read somewhere the Flintknapping costs. Thanks for the info.

all workshops are free, except in the case of the flint knapping workshop, where Will is providing a large amount of materials which the attendees will be taking home with them.

But their are limited numbers on the flint knapping workshop and all available places have been taken

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
all workshops are free, except in the case of the flint knapping workshop, where Will is providing a large amount of materials which the attendees will be taking home with them.

But their are limited numbers on the flint knapping workshop and all available places have been taken
Thats good to here that most are free and I understand the cost with the flintknapping. All the spaces are taken already!?

Is it the sort of thing where others can watch those taking part, but obviously not interupt or get involved.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
That sounds silly!.. but I dont know if it is; I have no experience of working flint, shards can fly a few feet and still have enough force to injure then?

They defiantly can. Your essentially smashing rocks together which can throw small shards quite a distance as you can imagine, these shards are razor sharp and will do serious damage to the surface of your cornea if they land in your eyes.

During one flint knapping session I witnessed an inch long shard struck from a node leave with enough force to penetrate the jeans of its owner and embed itself into 4-5mm into is thigh.

Not to worry anyone who its attending the workshop, but until you have handled flint and obsidian, its sometimes difficult to understand just how sharp a rock can be!

Remember that edge of an obsidian fracture can be 1 molecule wide, thats 500 times sharper than the finest quality steel scalpel blades

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
... its sometimes difficult to understand just how sharp a rock can be!

John Lord last year was demonstrating some techniques and when he stood up, a red patch was spreading on his jeans. It took him a while to find where the shard had gone in and then remove it!
Razor sharp does not even bigin to describe how sharp flint can get!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Ok, so the first I hear about the flint-knapping workshop is like 6 or 7 weeks before the Bushmoot, I saw the thread come up as soon as it did, yet I didnt have a clue there was people putting their names down for it? Where on earth was we supposed to be booking in? I never knew the workshops were organisied like that, I think if required to book on workshops someone should tell me how/where. This info should be featured on the Bushmoot info page, or at least emailed to those that purchase Bushmoot tickets. Some info please? :(

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok, so the first I hear about the flint-knapping workshop is like 6 or 7 weeks before the Bushmoot, I saw the thread come up as soon as it did, yet I didnt have a clue there was people putting their names down for it? Where on earth was we supposed to be booking in? I never knew the workshops were organisied like that, I think if required to book on workshops someone should tell me how/where. This info should be featured on the Bushmoot info page, or at least emailed to those that purchase Bushmoot tickets. Some info please? :(

??? Says all the instructions you need on the thread.... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22033

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE