Bushlite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Has anybody ever used one of these? I'm currently looking for a good illumination system for the camp - SWMBO is tending towards a wind-up LED lantern, whereas I am swayed by the Bushlite candle system doo-hickey (I like the idea that it's lo-tech, and the fact that it's made in Africa...)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

N

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's funny how sometimes I read a thread title and it comes out totally different to what is actually written in my addled old mind! I thought this thread read along the lines of bovine fertiliser!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's lack of caffeine and food! Nearly tea time!

Anyway, back to the subject in hand, I have a Uco lantern, the problem I find is that sometimes the mechanism can get a bit jammed with candle wax and the candles are quite hard to come by and a bit expensive. I am led to believe that the bushlite can be used with normal candles and they work relatively well.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
These take some beating.

Bottlelamp.jpg

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
You could have a look the Firefly. I picked one up for £5 at Blacks recently and is a high tech version of Waylands milk bottle.

It gives more light than you might think.

If you have a Millets or Blacks locally you could also look for their own brand tent lights that are 2 or 3 LED clusters powered by a single batter pack but I cannot find them on the web sites so they may be discontinued or just out of season.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My Bushlite is still ticking along nicely after years of use. I bought a spare glass when I got it, assuming that a breakage was likely, but that has remained wrapped and unused. Price's Household Candles work very nicely in it and cost less than a pound for half a dozen, unlike the the very expensive (but slightly longer lasting) candles for the likes of the Uco. You can also break dining table candles in half and use those, but the Price's fit perfectly.

The spring does occasionally get gummed up. A quick scrape with a knife or stick clears it.

There's a reflector available for the Bushlite: it works well but you could get much the same effect with some foil. The "official" carrying pouch is a bit poor, being rather a tight fit and not padded. Make your own for a better result.

Overall I'd recommend the Bushlite. Nice comforting glow (not as much light as from gas or battery powered lanterns, of course) and generally foolproof. For several years I used it at home as a bedside lamp, too.

Attleborough Accessories still seem to be stocking it (I bought it from an earlier UK distributor who apparently went out of business) but prices are higher than I remember.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just as a side note, those windup torches are a wind up, if they are all like the one I have used they should be filled in a container marked "Bin".

And don't even get me started on those big numb underpowered torches that you have to give a five knuckle shuffle to get them powered up:rolleyes:

I know they can be a bit high tech for some of you on here (browsing it on the computer as you do:) ) but I like the LED torch things like the firefly, you can recharge the batteries in the car you no doubt use to get wherever you are going and they last for ages.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I know they can be a bit high tech for some of you on here (browsing it on the computer as you do:) ) but I like the LED torch things like the firefly...
I always carry a Photon LED light, generally on a cord around my neck or else attached to whistle, keys or compass. Virtually unbreakable, practically weightless and surprisingly effective.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I've also used bushlite candle lamps for years, they take regular sized candles unlike the UCO equivalents however I've been unlucky enough to get through a couple of glass screens despite having it stored in it's own padded case amongst my fishing kit, which doesn't get roughly treated really. So I'd say the glass can be a little fragile, or I'm just very hamfisted.

To that end I bought a Krill lamp and counter the requirement for batteries by using and taking several rechargeables with me on long trips. On average I get a good 70-80 hours out of a quality set of rechargeables, which allows me to leave one or two on constantly. If you've never seen one they're rather like a glowstick in both shape and in the amount of light they emit. So a pleasant glow rather than something that'll ruin the night vision or dazzle.

Link here

I've found them to be wind, rain and stormproof, robust, efficient and reliable and would say the cost is without doubt worth it, just use quality rechargeables. If you want one to read by go for the 180's.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
A good bit of kit , and i made my own case for the lite.

img0714kk5.jpg

img0715zz9.jpg

and with one in the pipeline to make.

Cheers Topknot.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Last time I was out (last summer!) I chopped one side out of a beer can, and it reflected the light pretty well. The window I made for the side from a plastic bottle melted, but it still worked with the light wind.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I also have the bushlite, bought a year ago from http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=829 . It is very nice light as it's just a candle, I use cheap table candles cut in half. I have never taken it with me camping though, as it is a little heavy and perhaps a bit fragile but I used it sometimes in the tipi where I live. Though I haven't used it there so much either as it's much easier (easier to light and to put a new candle in) to just have a candle in a normal candle holder, there's not much wind inside anyway. On trips I have just taken my normal flashlight, sometimes accompanied by table candles which I put in a own made lantern made of a tin can (cut open one side as window, cut a whole in the bottom where you push the candle trough, as it burns up you push the candle higher manually) which works quite well and is lighter and stronger and takes less place (put candles inside the can when transporting) and it's cheaper.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
I love mine, it's gone all over the uk on either bushcraft or scouting events. broke one glass about 3 years ago and thought this is it but no safe since then. Sometimes soot builds up if the wick is too big. not tried any others so cant compare..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE