bushlite vs uco...again !!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I know this has ll been done before, so apologies in advance..but..

My girlfriend has kindly (or foolishly), allowed me to decide on what I want for a birthday pressie, and I've decided on a candle lantern...

I've read the threads and am veering towards the bushlite as I can use normal candles, and if I'm travelling I'd like the flexibility, and the mozzie pad adaptor seems a good idea.

Question...

Can I use the uco candles in it if available (like the citronella idea), and also does using normal candles cause more 'sooting' of the glass than the uco ones, which claim to be specially developed to avoid this ?

It'd be easier if we had no choices sometimes....

Thanks all,
Quiggers..

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
quiggers said:
I know this has ll been done before, so apologies in advance..but..

My girlfriend has kindly (or foolishly), allowed me to decide on what I want for a birthday pressie, and I've decided on a candle lantern...

I've read the threads and am veering towards the bushlite as I can use normal candles, and if I'm travelling I'd like the flexibility, and the mozzie pad adaptor seems a good idea.

Question...

Can I use the uco candles in it if available (like the citronella idea), and also does using normal candles cause more 'sooting' of the glass than the uco ones, which claim to be specially developed to avoid this ?

It'd be easier if we had no choices sometimes....

Thanks all,
Quiggers..

Go for the bushlite...

It doesn't soot at all (well, mine doesn't!)
The candles are available everywhere
if you want citronella - use a few drops of oil (less to carry) on a used mozzypad.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a bushlite and it's a good lantern.

If I didn't though, I'd consider buying one of the ones off ebay. You can't fault them for the money and you can have another bit of kit instead for your birthday.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
well that's 2-0 in favour of the bushlite..

Wow, that ebay one is some price difference...I do think you get what you pay for (not always in proportion though)..

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd sort of agree on most things. However, as the owner of a bushlite and a £2.99 ebay special, I'd recommend an ebay special.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I aggree re the ebay cheapie! - seems great quality esp considering the price!!!sometimes things come allong that just supprise you and other times plesenetly so! :lmao:

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
ebay doesn't have those cheapie ones - but found these instead and they look the ticket...

ebay

I'm sure I can rig up a cheap mozzie tab adaptor and they're half the price of a bushlite... :)

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Ive got a bushlight, only prob I've had is with Tesco candles, for some reason the wax doesn't get soft enough will not slide. Also once it has worn somewhat, there is a slight tendency for the 3 legs holding the glass in place with the green frame to stick; slightly annoying but not a problem.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
By the time you'd paid the shipping on one of those american ones on evilbay you might as well buy a bushlite or uco lantern in the UK.

The seller on ebay that was selling the £2.99 jobbies doesen't have any listed at the moment but their username is aztecleisureltd and if you contact them direct thru ebay they probably have them in stock and can deal with you direct.

The lanterns are made in Taiwan and if I hadn't already heard about them on here then I would have expected them to be cheap tat for the money but they are actually quite good value and will accept the UCO candles.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
thanks,

I've already posted off to aztecleisureltd to see if they've got or can source anymore.

Have also asked on postage for the other ones - although who knows what the quality is like - but look near identical to the uco/bushlite.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
I have two bushlights, love them, also have the £2.99 ebay special, which is also very good, and another that i got from a craft fair, which is either candle of parrafin lamp !

I must say tho, my bushlights are my fave, and the candles from my local £1 shop work great, just cut them in half :)

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
Just got my bushlite - solid brass and I must admit much more solid and weighty than I expected. Got cheap on ebay..

Although -didn't come with a mozzie pad adaptor - and am camping in wales ina few days - so very needed (going with the citronella tip)

Any ideas where I can get one pretty cheap and pretty fast ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hadn't seen those ones :cool:
I've got an Uco one and a couple of the brass ebay ones. For the money the ebay ones win hands down and they're good too.

Cheers,
Toddy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I just thought I'd do a 'big up' (I don't know what that mean but ir makes me feel young) for UCO - I love em

AJB

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the look of the cheapy ebat one though, I've found it on Raeer but it is €22!! It looks to be the same thing aswell. I'll keep checking ebay and see if any more crop up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE