Bushcrafty Plans for 2019

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
You can find some of it from the link in my signature if you are interested.
Haha! What fun it looks. Lots and lots of fiddly things that please the eye. Looks like a great deal of a thing to organise but brilliant all the same. The photos are very atmospheric to. Hats off to whoever the photographer is as well. Top stuff!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wayland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, I just sat down with my calendar to put some planning dates in. If I don't do it now half the year has gone and I still won't have done anything. So, in no particular order:

1) attend the Winter Bushmoot - a first for me :)
2) I have two canoe treks planned, one local the other in Scotland
3) a weekend deer tracking in local woods to determine presence and species
4) a backback in Snowdonia (while I still can - at least, I think I can!)
5) continue the UK coast overland trek - at least 4 weeks, maybe 6
6) leathercraft, wittling, stick dressing, spoon carving, knife making, axe refurbishment, greenwood furniture making ......
6) and, of course, as many nights as possible in our wood whilst we continue the biodiversity survey :)

Oh dear, maybe that's two years' of planning!

Well, first one down, canoe trek coming up at the end of March, and I've done a little spoonage :)
Planning and telling other people what one intends to do certainly helps the commitment.

so far my bushcraft plans for 2019 are going well.
3 of the 4 salted roe hides i traded with Theresa have started the transition from salty meaty hairy hides to soft luxurious buckskin ( i hope :) )
1 is in the freezer waiting to be hand softened
1 is rinsing awaiting acidifying, membraning dressing wringing and hand softening
1 is soaking in lye awaiting degraining rinsing awaiting acidifying, membraning dressing wringing and hand softening
1 left to begin the process at defleshing

hopefully in 2 weekends time theyll all be at the in freezer stage for hand softening.

busted out a bowdrill coal monday first of year now to experiment with other combinations

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That will be Wayland himself :)
I've tried, unsuccessfully, to reproduce his kind of 'campfire' photographs :(
Ahhhh I see! Well it far surpasses my amateur attempts at photography. After years of tinkering with an old compact DSLR (7 megapixals!) I am sloowly getting to grips with the ISO triangle..... I'd love a nice sparkly new compact dslr like the Sony A6000 but I just cannot afford it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I usually find there is a sweet spot of about half an hour, a little after sunset, when conditions are just right.

It is the point at which you can first see the difference in light colour being thrown from the lanterns compared with the ambient light. The camera will pick it up more than your eyes and a bit of careful processing will bring it out even more.

I usually have my camera set up on the tripod from before sunset, waiting for that sweet spot and try to get two or three different shots in that time window.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Plans for 2019 ? I've bought a canoe...:wideyed: an inflatable one at that...Very limited canoe experience so I'm just testing the water..no !! bad expression...:tongue: I mean seeing if appeals before I lash out and buy a real canoe. Just reading everything I can find at the moment, trying to learn as much as I can before launching...Wrong! it's called a put in, not a launch..see I'm learning already.....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Plans for 2019 ? I've bought a canoe...:wideyed: an inflatable one at that...Very limited canoe experience so I'm just testing the water..no !! bad expression...:tongue: I mean seeing if appeals before I lash out and buy a real canoe. Just reading everything I can find at the moment, trying to learn as much as I can before launching...Wrong! it's called a put in, not a launch..see I'm learning already.....

Shame you're so far away; you could have joined our weekend river trip at the end of March :)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" Shame you're so far away; you could have joined our weekend river trip at the end of March :) "
Thanks Broch. At the moment I'm so inexperienced I'd probably be a liability, but when I get more paddle time in it will be 'Have canoe, can travel'...:biggrin:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm getting out to consolidate the skills I learnt on the Fundamental course, some Munro's and I need to work on my tree/plant I.D. and uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE