Bushcrafty (ish) problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
Many years ago when I was a scout on camp we had a competition, one of the problems was cook an egg by friction.
After many attempts and many more broken eggs we could still not do it and the leaders would not tell us the solution.
I have googled this and come up with lots of science about microwaves, (did not have one on camp)
We tried the ideas of
1) lighting the match needs friction therefore using this to light the fire and cook the egg apparently not the answer
2) Rubbing the egg on a karrimat
3) Using a bow method mush as fire by friction

and various others.
Does any one out there know the definitive answer to this problem so that I can die a happy man

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Mmm sounds like they didn't know but it kept you lot busy.

I reckon its not friction on the egg but storing the heat from friction elsewhere so turning a bike upside down and holding a metal mug of water to it would in theory heat the water up. I reckon if I held a steel plate on a belt sander for long enough the residual heat could fry an egg.

'Apparently, the shepherds of Egypt had a singular manner of cooking eggs without the aid of fire. They placed them in a sling, which they turned so rapidly that the friction of the air heated them to the exact point required for use, (thanks again Mrs Beeton!)' - from tinternet :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Many years ago when I was a scout on camp we had a competition, one of the problems was cook an egg by friction.
After many attempts and many more broken eggs we could still not do it and the leaders would not tell us the solution.
I have googled this and come up with lots of science about microwaves, (did not have one on camp)
We tried the ideas of
1) lighting the match needs friction therefore using this to light the fire and cook the egg apparently not the answer
2) Rubbing the egg on a karrimat
3) Using a bow method mush as fire by friction

and various others.
Does any one out there know the definitive answer to this problem so that I can die a happy man

If you were to build a device that could spin the egg somewhat like an only fashioned machine used by test pilots to simulate gravity , the friction generated by the compression of the air in front of the egg, could raise the egg up to a point where it could possibly cook

http://www.thomas-poehlsen.de/soton_i8.php

if seems that this is not possible. spinning the egg at 120m/s increased the temp of the egg by 7 degrees C no where near 65+ degrees needed to cook the egg.

http://thomas-poehlsen.de/div/report.pdf

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nowadays the kids would just pull out their mobiles, lay them on a table arranged in a cross and then ring each other.

2 minutes, eggs over easy.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE