BushcraftUK Awards suggestion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Some sort of annual BushcraftUK awards ceremony such as Moderator of the Year, Contributor of the year, Best Reviewer, best Photographer etc etc there are loads of awards you could think up and each winner could get a special rank image or something and a small prize.

It will help keep morale and give people something to look forward too. You could have a panel or something select the best 10 or 20 nominees for each award and then have the members vote through polls. Would need to be planned well but easy to implement. Perhaps winners could be announced at the moot?

Would need to put a lot more thought into it but this is the basic idea.

Anyway, just a thought.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Is bushcraft really about competition or greatness though?

Sure, sometimes by giving people something to aim for it is inspirational, but for others it can be a downer and they get the attitude..."why do they deserve that?"

Its all very well having name out of the hats competitions, but saying that an individual person is better than someone else just seems beyond what i see in bushcraft.

Im not doing a very good job of explaining what i mean. LOL Perhaps i should jjust shut up.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think that those who stand out for the deeds they do deserve to be rewarded, remember they would be voted by the members for the members. People might be disappointed if they don't "win" but at the end of the day it would just be a bit of fun. It's not saying that someone is better than somebody else but that they have stood out for their contribution to the site and this is just a way of rewarding that. Kind of like if you are in a local football team you might have a reward night with things like Player of the Year etc.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
But who decides what is good post.

I recently asked for help in finding some info.

Only two members replied but both helped me get what I needed. So to me there are great posts :You_Rock_ . But to everyone else they are meaningless :confused:

Everyone on here is best at something so everyone should get an award. Not all members get to the moot so this creates 2 different groups if the awards given out at moots.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Awards are for egos and I personally don't think there is a place in my sort of bushcraft for ego. I have enough at work so my bushcraft is one of the last bastions of peace for me...please don't ruin it with "who's the best" rubbish :)

Bam. :D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
i`d say there isnt anything wrong with the original idea ( and as i`m not in the running for any of the categories what so ever, you can be assured its a unbiased view J ). It would be nice to recognise those people who put time and effort into the BCUK community, its just a nice gesture, no need to get too in-depth about the semantics as it applies to the ethos of bush craft.

As long as there is no "best bushcrafter" or the like, as I’d say with confidence, those people either post on here little or even shock and horror, not at all. J

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
If you kept it lighthearted, some awards in Decmeber would be a bit of fun.
Thread of the year
Pic of the year
Most attempts at fire drill over 2006 etc..
No prizes just for fun

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I don't see any problem with an award thing for fun...
When I finished working with kids we had a fun award thing...
I was the samuari psycho, others included were smallest big spirit, best party trick award, most organized, Who's the mum, etc
There were loads more, every one was a pis* take and every one had fun.

Any award thing certianly doesn't have to be about bush craft, as long as people can take a joke there is going to be no harm, as this is a pretty decent community I don't see the harm.

As for other things like photo of the year, any one can do that, as long as you have a cam obviously, there are done every where. No reason the pic has to be bushcrafty, whats wrong with a good pic or a dog, cat, most ridiculous outift etc......

The first thing to do would be to open a special page, for only pictures limited to three per member at most. Let it run for a month, then open a nomination thread....See what happens.

If that is a success then think about different nomination possibilities.

Heres another unbiased one, best signature. Not complicated at all, and easy to vote on.

I might just open a thread on this myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE