Bushcrafting locations in the south

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi peoples.

I'm hopefully off for a bushcrafting weekend sometime this month, however I don't know of any good places to go that is good for it.

I've been a couple of places before, but usually just found them by chance (found a wood off the side of a track once which was ok but a bit too near a road for my liking), or the place I have found has been more of a walking/hiking place, rather than 'stay for half a day and bushcraft to my heart's content' sort of place.

Am I making sense? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I live in Hampshire, and am wanting to go no further than say, east dorset or west, west sussex. Does anyone who lives around these areas know of a good location I can go to?

What I'm looking for is somewhere not too difficult to get to, where I can do some walking and also staying in one place where there aren't too many people to bother me, and also where I can ideally pitch a tarp and hammock (but if not a tent would be fine)... and also where I can have a fire if poss.

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Dan :)

(Mods: If I have this thread in the wrong catagory :confused: , i'm sorry, please do move it, thanks)

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
I hear what you're saying Daniel! I too am in Hampshire and lack suitable Bushcraft spots. Would love to hear of any going in my neck of the woods...

Cheers

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As a fellow hampshirian I know where your coming from - there is a distinct lack of decent woods around here. However I am fortunate enough to have a resonable sized one just at the back of my town that everyone else in the town seems to have forgotten about.

Depending on what your planning to do, but for just a day out without a fire - There is also Pamber Forest near Tadley, Harewood Forest near Andover, Farely Mount Near Winchester, Bere Forest near Fareham and The New Forest all of which have a wide variety of flora and fauna. But you need to get off the beaten track so to speak as they are also used by cyclists, horse riders and hikers. The New Forest is big enough to accomodate all of these but the smaller woods tend to suffer a bit from over-use and/or miss-use.

Or You could head towards Surrey/West Sussex where there is an abundance of woodland. Just grab an OS map and try a few places out. Whats the worse that could happen.

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
I'm quite close to Farley Mount, which is an excellent wild area and I'm lucky enough to know one of the Rangers there. Getting permission for an overnighter with an open fire would be another matter though I'm sure! I've used my Kelly Kettle up there on a few occassions. They've had problems with ravers up there trashing the place. Also occassionally you see Romanies there. Last year I passed two traditional vardos with their coloured cobs grazing quietly. There was a little camp fire going. When I passed again the following day they had left no trace apart from a single black bin bag neatly tied off. Anyway, I digress :)

More recently I have seen woodland for sale around the Fair Oak area (outside Southampton), but who can afford £30-£40k for a 5 acre plot to indulge their bushcraft pastime? Much better to pass unseen I reckon!

wortbag

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2004
New Forest/Wiltshire
I'm in the Basingstoke area too and I find Michealdever woods large enough to stay out of peoples way. I've not over-nighted there but brewed a few cuppas without any problems. It gets its fair share of dog walkers at the weekend but most stay on the paths through the woodland. It is a working woodland so caution should be exercised when tree felling is in progress! :eek:

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi, cheers for the replies.

Thanks for the ideas of locations andy, I'll have to get an OS map out of the cupboard like you say and look some of them up. I guess the best way to find a good bushcrafting spot is to try out some different locations until I find one.

I've tried Bere forest before, but there's quite a lot of paths and lots of people walking. I wandered into the wooded area a bit to try and get away from the main areas but it's quite dense in there and as such not many places I could find to hang a hammock. The trees are just too close together.

04Lookingintothetrees.jpg

New Forest is perfect, what a beautiful place to be, but it's the issue with fire there, and also camping in non-designated areas... Good for a bit of a walk though.

Somewhere I tried once was 'Worthers Down' on the South Downs, near Liphook. Only problem with that was finding somewhere off the track to camp. Also, it was a bit too close to an army training ground for my liking.

Dorset is my favourite, such beatiful scenery. (Just ignore the odd looking guy on the left, the wind was in my eyes :rolleyes: )

03Atsunsetwithourcampsiteinthedista.jpg

But sometimes I don't fancy driving a long way to get somewhere before I start off... Maybe that'l be something I'll have to do more if there is no-where in Hampshire suitable. Before asking on this forum I didn't realise hampshire had so little locations to choose from.

Cooking Pot I would love to buy my own wood, a bit extravagant though... Also, as always, no money.

Warthog, I think thats the problem with most places in Hampshire. Either too many people strolling, or the woods are 'working woods'.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hi everyone, I live in Chandlers Ford so about 5 mins from Farley Mount and 15 from Micheldever, had small brewups in both places but not tried an overnighter. There is relatively few places locally, South Downs MAY be an option but I've not looked into this too much at the moment.

The place we normally end up is Dartmoor, fantastic camp site near widecombe.

All the best

Matt

The New Forest is definately out for camping away from designated areas guys as are most of the woodlands in Dorset which are owned by the F.C. They do watch this forum and have taken a dim view in the past of people advocationg the 'Just go and camp anywhere you like, no one will find you' approach. I know this as I was in the process last year of negotiating a camping spot which was turned down flat after some of the things that were unfortunately said here :(

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
Thanks for that Jon, I didn't realise that the FC was particularly interested in the goings on here :eek: . I can slightly see their point that they don't know the difference between bushcrafters and the rest who leave burnt beer cans, engine oil, sofas and plastic bags full of poo!

Jan 30, 2006
South Coast
I walk up the old rail track from fareham up the valley, a few places around it are quite quiet with few people around. Further up some of the privately owned land with woods might be possible as the land owners are unable to do much with it and for a suitable consideration may be happy to help?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I have to echo what Motorbike Man says, i am totally against "secret camping" without permission. What people don't realise it that there may be someone here or elsewhere who has permission to use those woods legally and if people are caught illegally using them then you can bet that any change of getting permission in future will be impossible. :twak:

Something very similar just happened to someone on here and they have now lost access to the woods that they used, and allowed other BCUK memebers to use too. So congratulations to the idiots who ruined it for everyone. (Im not implying that said idiot was from here btw)

So do be sensible when finding places to have overnighters and use proper campsites or do some leg work to gain permission first.

OK Rant over LOL :soapbox:

Reactions: Ed
Cooking Pot said:
Thanks for that Jon, I didn't realise that the FC was particularly interested in the goings on here :eek: . I can slightly see their point that they don't know the difference between bushcrafters and the rest who leave burnt beer cans, engine oil, sofas and plastic bags full of poo!
It's not just that Cooking Pot, but it's the people breaking the law as well. It's something that even well meaning bushcrafters can spoil for the rest of us with out realising it at the time.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Andyn and Motorbike man are right. I am the one Andy was on about.
I had permission to use some woodland but compliments of some teenagers going there and not respecting the landowner, I've now lost those woods. :( :( :(

So I shall have to practice my bushcraft on those teenagers :eek: :cool: :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The Joker said:
Andyn and Motorbike man are right. I am the one Andy was on about.
I had permission to use some woodland but compliments of some teenagers going there and not respecting the landowner, I've now lost those woods. :( :( :(

So I shall have to practice my bushcraft on those teenagers :eek: :cool: :D

Pete

I'm truely sorry to hear about that. You must be gutted. It's a shame that those little beggars (not what I really want to call them) have spoiled it for you and those that came along. Is there no way the landowner will let you back in...he must realise the difference between you and some snotty little teenagers that don't give a ####? (and I'm not saying that all teenagers are the same, before anyone takes offence, I teach my scouts the highest of respect for their surroundings).

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
stovie said:
Pete

I'm truely sorry to hear about that. You must be gutted. It's a shame that those little beggars (not what I really want to call them) have spoiled it for you and those that came along. Is there no way the landowner will let you back in...he must realise the difference between you and some snotty little teenagers that don't give a ####? (and I'm not saying that all teenagers are the same, before anyone takes offence, I teach my scouts the highest of respect for their surroundings).

Cheers for the support Stovie.
I think given time and when he's carmed down I'll be able to use them again, the trouble was I think he thought the youngsters had seen me, so thought they could camp there as well.
We shall see :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE