Bushcrafting home utensils

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I've started a long term project. My goal is to get rid of as much plastic crap as I can and replace it with bushcrafted items instead! I've started with a cooking pot I had for like 10 years and replaced the plastic handle with a carved one of birch. You done something similar?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great!
I have been replacing plastic spatulas with wooden and made a long "pallette knife" or chapati/scone/pancake turner but had not thought of pan handles :)

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i allways have ambivalent feeling about that,because it is a good idea,to replace plastic by natural crafted things,but former plastic item,don't vanish in outer space,but remains here on that planet!
better buy an allready broken pan!
meanwhile,this is a nicer handle for that pan!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like that, I need to do something about my espresso pot, the handles a bit melted from campfires. We do have a lot of spatulas and spoons, and my favourite cup is a kuska I made. I'd love to find a good big bit of wood for a chopping board..

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I broke the handle on my potato smasher last week, yesterday I replaced it with an elm one, not as pretty as yours mind you.
Waiting for the glue to harden before testing.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Did a shoehorn in birch so I can replace my plastic ugly looking shoehorn! Not a perfect piece of wood for a shoehorn in any way but I didn't wanna use up my finer pieces of wood...
Too smooth it out I used a gooseneck scraper and steel balls to "polish" the surface.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have just made a couple of Kitchen utensil racks, but I think I'll have to change the stainless steel handles on the utensils for some nice turned wooden ones, now that I've seen the handle on your pan.
Steve408-1.jpg

Steve405.jpg

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
thats amazing skills there guys. i really cant wait to try wood carving i think it will take along time to get any way as good as all of you but im sure i'll have fun learning..

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I remember this thread so I show my new handle for my fridge. Was quite tricky to match the screw holes exactly right with the old handle so no harm has been done to the appliance. The old handle looked exactly like the handle below for the freezer. Now I don't have to touch the horrible plastics each time I open the fridge, hope I don't open it too often now :).

The wood is birch and part of a branch I cut down and saved about 4-5 years ago. Been drying inside since.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great idea for when the original l e has broken, I would not do it just because I can as it will just go in the land dfill

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I remember this thread so I show my new handle for my fridge. Was quite tricky to match the screw holes exactly right with the old handle so no harm has been done to the appliance. The old handle looked exactly like the handle below for the freezer. Now I don't have to touch the horrible plastics each time I open the fridge, hope I don't open it too often now :).

The wood is birch and part of a branch I cut down and saved about 4-5 years ago. Been drying inside since.

Very cool indeed goodjob

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
i allways have ambivalent feeling about that,because it is a good idea,to replace plastic by natural crafted things,but former plastic item,don't vanish in outer space,but remains here on that planet!
better buy an allready broken pan!
meanwhile,this is a nicer handle for that pan!

So you don't feel guilty about the plastic that is probably already in landfill? At least if you do as he has done, you can repurpose the plastic, rather than just chucking it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE