Bushcrafting 37 years ago revisited!...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi, a little tale. My father was a great inspiration to me, and was my best mate, sadly he died due to complications from an operation when i was 12, i was of course devastated.

To the point. The following spring, i wanted to run away from home and live in the wild!

My mum, contacted a local Dartmoor farmer (who dad had done lots of business with) And organised for me to camp on his farm on my own for a week, to see if it would cure my urge to run away and possibly deal with my grief.
He said yes, my mum dropped me off, the farmer loaded my gear in his tractor, and showed me the ideal spot for my adventure.

I had a rucksack, sleeping bag,bright orange survival bag etc from Ten Tors practice, mum had packed tins of soup, beans, rice pudding etc, the farmer delivered an old digger bucket for my fire and a small amount of logs, to be going on with, the rest i had to forage.

Anyway, i had a great week, weather was kind, fire in the bucket was brilliant, and only about a mile away across the fields was a village shop (long gone) which was the only human contact i had for the week, to top up on beans and soup!

There were times during the week, i felt like walking back to the farmhouse, and saying "Would you ring my mum please, only i have had enough"
But stubborness and pride would not let me.

I can honestly say, it did me the power of good, also how unaware i was it was my first Bushcrafting experience.

Anyway, i rang the farmer a couple of weeks ago (85 now), reminded him of my trip, and asked if i could revisit the place, he said yes, so today i went back, my heart was pounding as he directed me to the spot, i mentioned the digger bucket to him, and he said " I think it's still up there boy"

After much searching, i found it up in the granite! A very moving moment. Took a few pics, spent some quality time with my thoughts, went back to the farmhouse, to say thankyou, and cheekily asked if i could buy the bucket, the reply was " I think you earned that one boy, so you can have it" I was so chuffed, now all i need is a pal to help me extracate it, and it will sit pride of place in my garden ( pics of a fire in it, will follow in a couple of weeks)

A very very good morning.

Thanks for looking.

Ivan...

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 005.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 006.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 007.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 008.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 009.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 010.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 011.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 012.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 013.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 014.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 015.jpg Bottor Rock Farm 2013 016.jpg

Bottor Rock Farm 2013 017.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great tale Ivan, I'll bet you have a special fire with the kids when you get that bucket home, a kind've passing on of the "family" hearth. A new centre to things.

Glad you shared,
C.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing this pivotal and sad/happy/growing time of your life. I guess your dad would have been proud of you going on your own. The place is magical and no doubt Mother Nature helped with some of your mourning and healing.
I look forward to seeing you getting fire in your bucket :)

ATB
Craeg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks like my kind of place, a nice mix of woodland and pasture..........I can imagine a while camping there would be extremely therapeutic....................atb mac

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Cool post Ivan i really enjoyed that. thanks for sharing
Get Webster down he could slip that bucket in his pocket and be back in time for cheese and crackers
I have a few old camp spots back in Scotland from when I was a kid; I still visit them when i am up there
aaw I am getting all maudlin now

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
It looks like a special kind of place :)
Good on your Mum and the farmer for doing so well with a grieving youngster :grouphug: It sounds as though the old boy's a really decent sort :approve:

Great hearth to have near home now too :cool: Mind and leave a thank you in it's place.

Thank you for sharing, and the photos :)

atb,
M

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for sharing that, much appreciated! Looks a great and magic place.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great tale - had my own similar experiences around the moors at that age - but more likely for the reasons that our folds wanted shot of my brother and I for a few days. Great times. Good on you for re-visiting.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I enjoyed that, thanks for posting. I have visited a few of my childhood campsites of late, sad to say many of them have changed beyond recognition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE