Bushcrafters of the Isle of Wight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Fellow Bushcrafters resident on the Isle of Wight, can I ask, where do you practice your hobby, I would really like somewhere to practice our hobby that is Private, so, where do you do your thing? Is the place available for others to join in. It doesn't feel right to go to the local woods and sling a hammock or light a fire……..I've searched and searched for a small piece of land to buy, with no joy……...

Cheers all

Paul

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Bushcrafting on the IW?
There have been innumerable threads on here trying to define bushcraft. If your definition is sitting in your own bit of woodland and kipping in a hammock after doing whatever you want to do by an open fire then you might, unless you are very lucky on this landlslip in the Solent end up quite disillusioned
If however, you accept a broader definition about being at one with yourself and your environment (a bit tree-hugger I know) and developing your skills and more importantly your enjoyment outside of the stereotyped picture of something that the average person can't afford or find unless they have the time to develop intimate relationships with landowners, then we are gifted here on The Rock
We have loads of woodland (Parkhurst and Brightstone spring to mind) miles of footpaths, downland and, we have huge stretches of beaches that even at the height of summer are virtually empty (take a fishing rod and bivvy down to Atherfield or Blackgang for the night) and abundant fauna and flora to find and observe.
I also have a couple of allotments to mess about on, but really I think you need to free yourself of the "hammock in the woods" image and see the fantastic opportunities and privileges we have as a result of living here - even if we have to put up with holidaymakers just now. ;)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Yea I take your point and do take advantage of the Forests, Footpaths, Beaches etc and often remind myself how lucky we are to live here, holidaymakers and Ferry fares are a bit of an issue though……..

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
The wonderful Wightlink that won a customer service award by deleting any critical comment from its social media....
Whereabouts on the Island are you? I am in East Wight

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Thats the one, we went to my daughters weddong last year and our travel spanned the Festival....£35 to Portsmouth on the Tuesday, return on the Thursday of the Festival £95....piracy!......I'm East too in Lake....

Paul

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Yep, Yorkshire born, moved here mid 60's, been back and forth to the North Island with work.......been back 10 years (this time!!!)

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Fellow Bushcrafters resident on the Isle of Wight, can I ask, where do you practice your hobby, I would really like somewhere to practice our hobby that is Private, so, where do you do your thing? Is the place available for others to join in. It doesn't feel right to go to the local woods and sling a hammock or light a fire……..I've searched and searched for a small piece of land to buy, with no joy……...

Cheers all

Paul

I tend to just bimble about in the woods or on the coast too. I've tent camped for a night near a few secluded beaches (watch out for the wrinkly scallops down Blackgang) but that's as far as I've got with overnighters as I haven't got much kit yet.
I'm a bit more out in the boonies (central wight) so I have some great ground on my doorstep, but it's mostly all heavily farmed land or managed estates. I'm enjoying exploring though.

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
I'm up in the New Forest, love a bit of bivvying and cycling, i would love to come over and meet up with you guys. Not bringing the car though, i have only just taken out my first mortgage

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE