Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi everyone just getting going, starting to by pits and peaces of kit and got the ray mears dvds and his books plus one of his knives so can people let me know if the kit he recommends in his books and calalogs is the best or is it just to make money (knives rucksacks hammock sleeping system ect) thank you all in advance

mal

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
mal said:
Hi everyone just getting going, starting to by pits and peaces of kit and got the ray mears dvds and his books plus one of his knives so can people let me know if the kit he recommends in his books and calalogs is the best or is it just to make money (knives rucksacks hammock sleeping system ect) thank you all in advance

mal
Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
Let me answer with a say: There's more than one way to skin a rabbit! :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Welcome to the board!! :) no doubt rays kit is good... but it is often the cast that kit just as good if not better can be found, sometimes at a lower price if you simply shop around... use the search function on this board to look at each of your bits kit.. you will probably find topic disscussing all of the kit you need!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hiya and welcome aboard to BCUK :)
Kit is a very personal thing. I'd suggest to try before you buy. There is alot written here that can help you avoid some of the pitfalls, but mainly everyone chooses kit that suits themselves.

:biggthump
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the kit recommended and sold by ray is good stuff, however kit of the same quality can often be found at much cheaper prices.

for example it wont take you long to find a good hammock system or knife for a lot less than two hundred pounds.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'd agree with the above replies. Bear in mind that Ray Mears started bushcrafting with almost no commercially available kit, making do and making items himself, so I'm pretty certain that he himself would not tell anyone that they must have Brand X. The Woodlore knife is a good example. It's a terrific knife, but there are lots of knives of similar quality, and others that may suit you better than the one Ray Mears designed to suit himself. My first buy was a Mora costing about £7, and it's excellent for general use. Why pay more until you can appreciate the difference and have the experience to know exactly what you need?

Woodlore is a business, so of course they sell things to make money, but it has never seemed to me that Ray recommends anything he would not trust and use. On this forum you'll find some posts complaining about product placement and others wanting to know just what jacket he wore or axe he used, so I don't think he can really win. Ask questions, read books like "Bushcraft" and others you'll find suggested here and, above all, get out there - be it the back garden or the backcountry - and start putting the skills into use, step by small step. Don't get too hung up on "proper" kit, because that way lies bankruptcy and madness.

M

murf

I have also just started out and have looked atthe kit in the book and then done what everybody has said and shopped around and got some really good stuff at half the price. Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE