Bushcraft with a twist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On the 2nd of April I had a day away from the Care Farm and my normal haunts and headed a bit further South in Pembrokeshire for a bit of Bushcraft.
The "twist" was that I was going to be instructing for a demographic that rarely gets to play in the bush, the members of the group coming on a "jolly" from Pembrokeshire's Children's Respite house.
I did not meet the participants before the outing but knew that the group could include youngsters of 12 - 17 years old with any kind of "issues" on the Learning Disability side of things and that at least one would be a wheelchair user. All the "Care" needs would be met by the House staff and I was just there to deliver a Bushcraft experience. The basic plan was to get a fire going, cook the food they brought and perhaps have a play with making cordage...

The Team arrived at Scolton Manor at just after 11am and we loaded up like pack horses to trek into the woods. The only strict rule the Warden of Scolton Park insisted on was "Cut no Green Wood" - the rest she left to common sense (and the knowledge that I had run bushcraft tasters in the Park before - with school groups) a refreshing attitude!
Soon the team were finding and preparing firewood. Luckily there was some superb dead Ash - the top of a dead tree - almost right on site and with all hands to the pumps there was soon masses of firewood ready.

Hunting firewood is not without issues with this kind of group and there was one casualty that involved torn trousers, a graze and loss of dignity... luckily it happened to a staff member!

The Team members fared much better with no injuries!
6.jpg

Once the wood was prepared the fire lighting commenced. All the team who had a go achieved fire by both flint and steel and by "spark stick" the wheelchair user , who had severely restricted use of his hands as well as his legs, persevering manfully to create "Man's Red Flower" with a helper only assisting by holding either the flint or the spark stick steady: the one-handed use, spring loaded spark stick was of no use as the thumb pressure needed on the striker was not achievable... he did much better with a real flint and steel! Lots of Charcloth, cotton-wool, Vas and drier fluff was used up!

I then asked the question "What separates Man from the Apes?" expecting the answer "The ability to make fire" and inducting the group as full members of the Human Race.
The answer I got was" Humans do not throw their poo at other people!" which (from experience) the staff were willing to debate but I let the point rest with the chap who gave the answer :)
All the trial fire remains were dropped into the base of the Kelly Kettle and a brew was soon produced and at the same time the main fire was ignited.
A couple of the lads turned out to be real pyromaniacs - which helped :)

Once the fire was fettled the Staff and Team members set to cooking the mountain of sausages, burgers and beans they had brought with them and soon a long - if rather late, lunch ensued.

After lunch I found out that I did not have as long with the group as I had been told and there was not really enough time to get the cordage/rope-making going, so, instead, we had a "plant walk" through the woods and across the grass back to the car-park.
The whole team seemed to enjoy this with some wanting to know all the signs of someone in the throws of the toxins from the poisonous ones I pointed out and discussing the finer points of severe upset stomachs!
Luckily the rain held off, none of the team managed to maim themselves and everyone seemed to have a good time - including me!
Sometimes it almost feels immoral to take money for running a day like this....
After the team was loaded up and away I found the Warden and said "thank-you" before heading home.

When I say that I have not worked since I was 22, just getting paid to have fun - this is the kind of thing I am talking about!

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
That sounds like a worth while day out and enjoyed by all even the help that fell over was laughing.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great report John. I did something similar with a bunch of kids from an organisation called Bullies Out! recently. All of them had been reverely bullied in the recent past and had a variety of psychologica issues. they were dropped on myself and two others at short notice with no introduction of preparation, but we managed tro entertain them for an afternoon.

The rewards when you get a positive response are amazing, and it is so satisfying to have put a smile on the faces of these youngsters. Any positive experienbce that they get is beneficial to them in some way, be it self-esteem or simply respite from circumstances. Well done. I smiled all the way through this report.

:You_Rock_

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant stuff Mr. Fenna, I enjoyed reading that as much as you seemed to have had doing it. And I'm sure the kids and staff had a brilliant and fullfilling time too. The kid that talked about throwing poo wasn't the one in the Dennis The Menace top was it! :D
Reading this on a wee phone screen, are the owl carvings stone or wood? They look really good.
Cheers for spreading the joy our way too from what sounds like a brilliant day out.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done Mr Fenna :D :respect:

Groups of children with those kinds of issues seem to thrive when given the opportunity to do things like that outdoors, they appear get so much more from the activity and the experience than we even plan for. It makes all the work so very rewarding.
Good on you :D and I hope the word goes out and you get a lot more work like this too.

atb,
M

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Kudos John sounds like you gave the kids a day to remember well out of their usual routine

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Brilliant stuff Mr. Fenna, I enjoyed reading that as much as you seemed to have had doing it. And I'm sure the kids and staff had a brilliant and fullfilling time too. The kid that talked about throwing poo wasn't the one in the Dennis The Menace top was it! :D
Reading this on a wee phone screen, are the owl carvings stone or wood? They look really good.
Cheers for spreading the joy our way too from what sounds like a brilliant day out.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.
The carvings are of wood and are the "Symbol" of Scolton Manor.http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=103,1871&parent_directory_id=646

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thank you for an inspiring post.

You surely gave them a day to remember for the rest of their lives.

My wife and I have just finished a week working in a Primary School- an art rather than bushcraft project- so we can well understand the rewarding experience of working with youngsters at something unfamiliar. It's a symbiotic experience, isn't it: they get a new experience and we get a sense of satisafaction.

I hope this post and previous examples of your work with less privileged people will encourage others to take the plunge in sharing the joys of introducing kids to a wider world. One of the great things about the forum is the evidence that many members aleady do this either through organisations or with their own children and grandchildren. I always enjoy reading such posts: they give me hope for the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE