Bushcraft / Stomping around Sydney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
I'm off for a wedding in Sydney shortly but have a week out there on my own afterwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can amuse myself bushcraft / hiking wise. Something lasting a 2 / 3/ 4 days and pretty isolated. It needs to be accessible by public transport. The blue mountains look beautiful but then so do a lot of the other national parks dotted around Sydney. Any advice gratefully received.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Been to the Blue mountains, but that was in their winter so it was very quiet (and snowy!). I don't know what summer visitor numbers would be like.
But it is a nice area, good dramatic views and many hikes through the forests, under cliffs and past waterfalls. I imajine there will be space to lose yourself no matter the time of year.
I saw quite a few kangeroo while I was there too.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Ku-Rin-Gai Chase national park is awesome.
If you're doing Blue Mountains try and get over to the Jenolan Caves too - awesome place if a little commercial. I also managed to find a ranch out round that way (Megalong Valley) and went for a horse ride through the bush which was a good way to see things.

Last edited:

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
Thanks for the information, the photos of the Blue Mountains that I've seen look absolutely beautiful. I'm quite keen to go and have a look at some cave art too. They're having quite a bad summer over there at the moment so hopefully that'll keep the tourist numbers down.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Google blue mountains acacia flats

Its a great walk from Govats leap, and camp spot at acacia flats, although there will be some mosquitoes just now. You can get the train to Blackheath from Sydney then its only a few dollars to Govats leap in a taxi.

Also look up the great north walk, it goes from lane cove to newcastle and there are lots of train stops on the way. The parts between Hornsby, Berrowra and Kuringai are really nice and a couple of hours each. Hornsby is less than an hour from Sydney and the trains go all the time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE