Bushcraft starter kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damo74

Aug 6, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi everyone being very new and green to this bushcraft stuff I was looking for cheap kit to get me started.Came across a bushcraft starter kit on Militrymart I was wondering what the more experianced among you thought about the kit supplied? didn't want to shell out £80.00 odd pounds for something that wasn't fit for purpose.
I know with time that I can upgrade or change what I use but just need to get started and get out there plus I do want to stay warm and dry! Thanks in advance

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1958

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You don't need to dive right in an begin with all that kit (even if it is a bargain), there is plenty of scope for buying similar kit as individual items and learning as you gain each item of kit.

A knife will be central to many of your eventual skills, along with the knowledge to maintain it and use it effectively.

Next would be a fire making kit and this can be as simple as a box of matches.

After this would come water provision and the ability to stay overnight, but that cam come later once you have mastered some of the more basic skills.

ATB

Ogri the trog

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
The kit is all decent, bomb proof kit [usual army surplus standard] quality and is exactly the stuff i started out with - but it will be heavy - i would add a decent sleep mat as an essential item for both insulation and comfort and would swap the rucksack straight away as i have used one of those and found it uncomfortable [only my opinion].

just to throw a spanner in the works it may be an idea to check Ebay and see if you can source the items [or similar] for cheaper yourself.

From the list - the stuff i would keep:
  • Czech bed Roll - Includes Waterproof Bivi Bag
  • Swedish Army Trangia Stove - Issued Grade
  • 2 x British 58 Pattern Waterbottle (1Litre)
  • Mora
  • 3 x Para Cord 5-7m
  • Wildo Cadet Fire-Flash (flint & Steel) - Latest Swedish Firesteel New to the UK
  • Swedish Army Head Torch
  • Wildo Spork
  • British Army Issue Rucksack Liner
  • British Army Style DPm Basha
and the stuff i would change:
Norwegian Army Vintage Canvas 'Telemark' Rucksack

for £83 it seems a good deal - you could always stick the ruck on Ebay and get a more comfy cheap alternative such as a highlander forces 44 - they go on Ebay for around £20 - £25 used

again all just my opinion

regards
max

Hi everyone being very new and green to this bushcraft stuff I was looking for cheap kit to get me started.Came across a bushcraft starter kit on Militrymart I was wondering what the more experianced among you thought about the kit supplied? didn't want to shell out £80.00 odd pounds for something that wasn't fit for purpose.
I know with time that I can upgrade or change what I use but just need to get started and get out there plus I do want to stay warm and dry! Thanks in advance

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1958

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
From my very limited experience it looks excellent mate!!!
I agree with ogri about mastering skills but why not just get out there and do stuff? In this sort of weather you don't need a fire you can use the stove to cook on and then it just makes it camping like any other camping night out!!!
Pack a first aid kit and a mug and go out and have fun mate!!!
All the best
Steve

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Like ogri has said id keep it simple and enjoy the simplicity of being out in the woods. For years all i used was a carbon steel folding knife a pack of matches and a crusader cup and it was great. We are a bit spoilt for choice with gear now.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Not sure i would personally go for that kit, id rather buy it bit by bit.
Like other people have said, start out small! You don't need much at all, just learn/practice basic skills as you take trips into the woods. For the longest time i never used a knife, the only thing i has was a knock off swiss army knife that got the job done (tho i don't recommend it). If you do take a knife make sure you bring some kind of first aid kit, you will need it.

Id say you should do as much reading (books/forums) & watching ray mears type tv shows as possible, almost everything i have learned has come from there.
You can have all the kit in the world but if you don't know how to use it effectively then it's no use.
Honestly just start off with whatever kit you have around your house and fit it all in an old backback you may have. The more you learn and read about the more you will know what kit you need and you can build it up as you go along.

Also i would like to point out that this is the time of year for getting good deals as lots of shops are selling lots of things off cheap as we are heading into winter. Look on the likes of ebay for companies selling off discontinued products straight from the factory at a fraction of the retail price (arktis are great for this), surplus stores are also good from time to time.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Looks like a good deal, I agree with the rucksack comments (they dont build human shoulders like they used to!). The bivvi bag is not breatheable, this can sometimes make for a disgustingly damp night if your warm, in the cold not so much of an issue.

Pretty bullet proof I would say and you can always sell or trade on if its not what you feel you want. Yo do need a cup as the rim on that german billy set is a heat retainer and stays hot a long time.

S

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Half of the fun for myself is finding stuff that will do the job in second hand sales, auctions etc and trying to think what can be adapted to do a job, otherwise known as making stuff. In fact start cheap and keep cheap in mind as cheap is satisfaction in getting something that will work for as litte money as possible and beat the consumerist mentality.

If you want to be cheeky, list what others put in starter kits and search for it yourself

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Half of the fun for myself is finding stuff that will do the job in second hand sales, auctions etc and trying to think what can be adapted to do a job, otherwise known as making stuff. In fact start cheap and keep cheap in mind as cheap is satisfaction in getting something that will work for as litte money as possible and beat the consumerist mentality.

If you want to be cheeky, list what others put in starter kits and search for it yourself

Making stuff yourself not only benefits in keeping the costs down, but you also get to learn how to repair or replace kit that gets lost or damaged or needs to be modified. There is an inner satisfaction gained from knowing that your own kit is actually expendable because you have the skills to replace it.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Some very good points made but a question about the pack!
I THINK they have made a mistake, I THINK the pack shown is a nylon material ( I have the same pack, brought back with me from the first BcUK Arctic trip to Norway, Woody got hold of some for a few of us.) with leather straps
If it IS the pack I think it is then you would have a VERY good and well made pack, far better in quality than the Highlander stuff in my opinion
Good luck and keep us posted!
Chris.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
  • Czech bed Roll - Includes Waterproof Bivi Bag
  • Swedish Army Trangia Stove - Issued Grade
  • 2 x British 58 Pattern Waterbottle (1Litre)
  • Mora
  • 3 x Para Cord 5-7m
  • Wildo Cadet Fire-Flash (flint & Steel) - Latest Swedish Firesteel New to the UK
  • Swedish Army Head Torch
  • Wildo Spork
  • British Army Issue Rucksack Liner
  • British Army Style DPm Basha
and the stuff i would change:
Norwegian Army Vintage Canvas 'Telemark' Rucksack

more as a way to demonstrate that opinions vary slightly within the bushcraft community than anything else:

stuff i'd keep - norwegian army vintage canvas rucksack

stuff i'd change - everything else :)

having said that, there's nothing wrong with any of the kit listed there, and i'm 100% certain that with that kit i'd stand just as good a chance of having a good trip out as i would with my own kit (and i'd bet that max whitlock would agree with me), it's just that i think there are better alternatives out there for most of that kit.

welcome to our little bushcrafty world, please don't expect too many straight answers to things!

Damo74

Aug 6, 2012
Lincolnshire
Cheers for all the views on this subject I have decided to try and start out with things I can blag and make!! found an old sheath knife in my garage that just needs grinding and being in the building trade should be able to get hold of some tarp.I will prob buy a stove of some kind as I have no skills at the moment in fire lighting but practice makes perfect and any advice on sleeping bags would be welcome as I have read that the czech sleeping roll is heavy!! If I can get these few things sorted then it should be enough to have a go in the woods for a night!! Once again thanks for the input there where some intresting views and ideas to consider.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
if you want a down bad look no further than the millets down eurohike 500. light weight, warm in all weathers, packs down to the size of a squashed loaf.

sandsnakes

ps or use a duvet and make one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE