Bushcraft show?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Hi, a polite request here for anyone who went to the recent bushcraft show a week or so ago? There was a stall, where a very nice chap was sharpening knives, who was also selling some very nice leatherwork. Does anyone know who he was or his company name?

Not sure this can be answered, but trying, just in case?

Many thanks in advance :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Was it a good show Armleywhite ?
I went to the first one and was disappointed, but really hoped it would take off and thrive in future years.
I honestly couldn't see why it shouldn't, there are just so many skilled folks around and it would be brilliant to have a get together that was a little more centralised than the much lauded Wilderness Gathering.

M

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
It was the first show I’d been to, mainly because the Bushmoot is always a little too far and I usually end up on shift whenever it's on :( It wasn't bad, but a tad small, mainly a lot of stalls and few shows / exhibitions. I missed Ray Mears on the Saturday, but it wasn't a bad day, but like you I was a little disappointed and hope it grows in coming years. I actually got my tickets via Groupon for half the gate price, so my son and I went for the price of a single ticket. I would have been a lot more disappointed had I paid two full price tickets. I got the feeling that the best day would have been on the Saturday and it appeared a lot of stallholders / events had packed up and gone? I won't rule out another visit next year though.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I was there last year and this year. I thought there were less demonstartions than last year. There were rumblings of a few exhibitors just not turning up but I'm not sure how true that was.

I particularly 'liked' the part of Ray Mears talk when he described bushcrafters as 'leatherhats'. Maybe I'm just sensitive and took it the wrong way!!!

I was £200 for a weekend camping pass but I heard the gate price was £20 a day, so £160 for camping and evening entertainment? Looking at the Wilderness Gathering next year but it's a wee bitty far away!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye.
The Wilderness Gathering sounds brilliant, and I know folks who go and demonstrate/work there too, and they're all superbly skilled and capable.
It's just so blooming far down for us.

The Moot's excellent, but even it's a heck of a trail for us.

M

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
The WildernessGathering is pretty darn good IMHO! Been there half dozen times over the years and it has always appeared an open community helping out each other. I haven't attended a Bushcraft show as the prices do seem extortionate for what other forum users have witnessed. Not attended a Bushmoot either because of distance, but again, forum reports make me think it's just as good as the Gathering in terms of friendliness and openness to learning

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
It was my first year at the bushcraft show but I really enjoyed it, I went for the Sunday. It wasn't a massive show and would be nicer if it was a tad bigger but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I particularly 'liked' the part of Ray Mears talk when he described bushcrafters as 'leatherhats'. Maybe I'm just sensitive and took it the wrong way!!!

I don't think you were being sensitive, he also said he didn't understand people who did bushcraft at the weekends? To him it's just what you do on an expedition. At another talk on his tour someone asked what his favourite piece of kit was, he said he didn't really like kit so much, really, why is his landrover full of it then when he camps for the "weekend" by a river? I think he may be confused lately or just after a reaction. Shane really, Ray has done some fantastic work and it's disappointing that he shows little respect for his fans and customers of his kit sales.

Come on Ray, you can do better than this.....or maybe you can't!!!

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I prefer the wilderness gathering especially if you have kids as they do the coyote kids stuff. The talks are also on a smaller scale so are more intimate. Its a lot further to go, but worth it.
Haven't done the bushmoot yet...
But it was my 2nd year at the bushcraft show. Although it is more costly, it is local for me. I took my youngest daughter both last year and this year. She really enjoys it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I don't think you were being sensitive, he also said he didn't understand people who did bushcraft at the weekends? To him it's just what you do on an expedition. At another talk on his tour someone asked what his favourite piece of kit was, he said he didn't really like kit so much, really, why is his landrover full of it then when he camps for the "weekend" by a river? I think he may be confused lately or just after a reaction. Shane really, Ray has done some fantastic work and it's disappointing that he shows little respect for his fans and customers of his kit sales.

Come on Ray, you can do better than this.....or maybe you can't!!!

Perhaps he shares a certain liking for irony as per this member. Something that is not always appreciated. Either way I'm sure he would much rather be stalking at the Weekend than field testing his new Spyderco folder on a piece of hazel.

K

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Was it a good show Armleywhite ?
I went to the first one and was disappointed, but really hoped it would take off and thrive in future years.
I honestly couldn't see why it shouldn't, there are just so many skilled folks around and it would be brilliant to have a get together that was a little more centralised than the much lauded Wilderness Gathering.

M

I went last year and this. For me its a rare chance for some quality time with my old dad so the show part is secondary really.....we could just as happily lounge around camp chewing the fat for the weekend tbh lol. We both enjoy it and it is local which makes a bid difference

I don't think its as "crafty" as you'd like it to be mary. Not many people actually making things and what demo's there are seem to be aimed at begineers
I saw two spoon carving lessons while walking around and both were very basic. the only other thing i can remember now was an axe carving lesson, as we watched the girl was teaching folks to put a point on a stick. There was talented people selling thier goods, but not very many really

Some of the talks were good both years though

If i were you i personally wouldn't travel down from scotland for it tbh

Thorgrim

Dec 12, 2015
London
This was also my first visit to the Bushcraft show and as a weekends entertainment it was lots of fun. £100 for a woodland camping ticket is expensive but I appreciate the show organisers are doing it to make income and have significant costs providing toilets etc.

I met up with a good friend from Northern Ireland and we enjoyed the camping and banter. The show itself is mostly a shopping venue with lots of different traders available, although prices were on average higher than expected. The army surplus stalls were huge and cheap if they have what you are after.

The arena shows were not great and seemed to be more of an after thought.
The best bushcraft I saw was on display from a group called Dryad who were taking a lot of time to explain and demonstrate friction fire lighting. I was impressed with their teaching attitude.

So in summary it is a good show to see and buy kit and it provides a safe comfortable venue for friends and family to "come bushcrafting " with you socially for the weekend but there wasn't much more than that.
No one was judging anyone else so if you wanted to wear 3 knives and 2 axes on your belt you could just go ahead and enjoy yourself.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
I took the wife two years ago and felt distinctly ripped off and it doesn't appear to have changed judging by the posts below which is a real shame
I have been to the Wilderness Gathering twice now and will go again this year as it seems to getting bigger and better every year again for all the reasons below plus you get to see the likes of Ben Orford, Nick Westerman and Dave Budd create knives and entertain the massed ensemble along with other great stuff
Maybe going to the bush moot in 2017 can't this year as I'm swanning it up in the south of France with my lovely wife as this also sounds a better bet than the Bushcraft Show - Sorry
Gary
Easy decision

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
I’m quite saddened to hear that RM thinks of Bushcrafters as “leatherhatters” or that he has little regard for Kit. Given that he inspired so many into appreciating the outdoors way of life and it’s various skills, I find his apparent attitude as somewhat belittling?

However, to some degree I have to agree with him, especially by the term “Leatherhatter” (not that wearing a leather hat is anyway derogatory ) For me, coming from an outdoors childhood that included many years in the scouts and then going on to serve for many years in the military and serving in various theatres of operation, I do find a lot of “Bushcrafters” a tad OTT. I don’t intend to offend, but there are a lot of people who put a lot of score in their kit and killing themselves to find the best bits to parade than the actual skill. For me it matters not that I don’t have the most expensive knife, axe, tarp, etc. What matters is that I know how to look after myself and the kit I have is up to the job. I recently say a BC video on a guy explaining the best backpack and his recommendation was a pack that cost in excess of 140 quid??? WHAT?? Why?? For that price I could kit myself out completely. Imo, that is ridiculous.

Walking around the bushcraft show last week it was amazing how many were fully kitted for a month in the wild, with all their kit being carried by pack horse. Well, not quite, but it was ridiculous in some cases. Why? Some of which were dressed immaculately pristine, as if on parade. Fully geared up with their knives (several in some cases) perfectly placed on their belts, axes draping their insanely large pristine Long backs. Each to their own I know, but this is probably what RM was referring to?? However, in my opinion he really shouldn’t be so judgmental, mind you, maybe neither should I, I suppose?

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I don't own a leather hat but now I feel compelled to get one if it's all part of the uniform.:cool:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I’m quite saddened to hear that RM thinks of Bushcrafters as “leatherhatters” or that he has little regard for Kit. Given that he inspired so many into appreciating the outdoors way of life and it’s various skills, I find his apparent attitude as somewhat belittling?

As is so often the case a great deal can be lost (or added to) in the translation of such comments and RM is no different, albeit those who bow before the altar of Woodlore will no doubt refuse to accept their Guru is capable of such mortal-like pronouncements.

When RM refers to “leatherhatters”I do not believe for 1 second he considers this disrespectful or demeaning but rather an affectionate acknowledgment of those who unashamedly wear their passion upon the sleeve. (Or head and most other parts of their anatomy in this case!) His alleged comments may also be seen to voice an uncomfortable truth that is no matter the seriousness with which bushcraft is pursued, it is in reality a Weekend hobby for a very large percentage of its exponents. This may draw cries akin to “bushcraft is a way of life and state of mind with real-world skillsets so therefore should not be lumped in with other pursuits” but such an assertion frankly reeks of pretentious elitism which is from my limited appreciation of RM the antithesis of his modus operandi.

As for “not liking kit” I take this to mean he does not care to unnecessarily dwell on the subject but, rather like the man who is only interested in ‘accurate’ rifles, would happily invest in equipment that is fit-for-purpose and adds to the experience. He then however closes the sales catalogue; moves on and actually uses/deploys his investment.

And before anyone suggests it, this is not some cheap attempt to queue-jump the AW Woodlore knife waiting list as unfortunately I’m not on it!

K

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, it's funny that Ray's comments get analysed so much. Good post K.

There is a sort of uniform that seems to go with the bushcrafting side of things, it's just how it is, I've actually identified a couple of people as bushcrafters because of their attire :D

Many of us love kit, but the main thing we should be doing (IMO) is developing skills and the whole thing that Ray and others have always tried to do is teach the skills so that the kit becomes a luxury for comfort rather than a necessity for survival.

Everyone is on their own journey though so ultimately they do what they want to do and we should be happy with that, but I also think that we should be abel to have our opinions be they ones that agree of disagree, we can have them and yet still support those around us, just because someone has a dozen knives on them, 3 tarps and a leather hat and 5 brace of birds doesn't mean i'm going to help them any less, although I might express my amusement and ask why on earth they've got so many birds..one for each knife!

Anyway, IMO Ray's fine, he's just saying what he thinks and I'd rather have that then him be all fake. He's done amazing things in his life and for everyone interested in what we like to do and I'll take the bits I find useful and forget the rest...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE