Bushcraft Show

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm going up today too, for the whole weekend. Will keep an eye out for you Elen and Paul, and anyone else there from bcuk.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ve vill be easy to rekognize, ve vill be carryink ein kopy of "Alone in the Wilderness" und vering a milk thistle bloom in our lapel. Der passvord for today is "John Fenna loves his pink spork."

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Maybe a pink spork should be our emblem??? I will have a medium sized black dog with me called Monty who is permanently on the lookout for food.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe a pink spork should be our emblem??? I will have a medium sized black dog with me called Monty who is permanently on the lookout for food.

Well tomorrow is Wear Lilac Day so since the lilac isn't in bloom round here and I can't find my towel (read the link) maybe a Lilac Spork (sorry Fenna) should be our symbol of recognition. I can imagine furtive meetings of bushcrafters meeting in secret, using their staffs to draw a Fenna symbol on the ground so they may be recognised without fear of persecution.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Didn't spot a lilac spork but I did see men wearing "tactical skirts", as my wife put it.

Was too afraid to ask: were they wearing them for a bet? I'm as in touch with my feminine side as the next bloke and not too proud to look daft most of the time, but the green skirt made of all pockets (pockets are some of my favourite things, btw) is a wee bit silly, or am I wrong? (And I know a kilt when I wear one, and they didn't strike me as a kilt, either). ;)

Apologies if I'm offending anyone but please do educate me. I'd hate to be missing out on The Latest Bushy Thing for wont of a bit more knowledge. (And how advisable would they be to canoe in or dangle in - or out of - a hammock wearing?) ;)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Yes I was intrigued by the tactical kilt wearers at the show. My daughters both told me I am not to wear a kilt ever!

I think there is just one rule for wearing a bushcraft man-skirt: you have to look so 'kin hard that no one is ever going to mention it!

Z

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
I was there for the weekend with my son and a mate had a wicked time and had to eat mealworms as my son bottled it but wanted a bear grylls sticker lol. The zip wire was good and you cant beat a good ferret around military marts stand. Also done a spot of canoeing, archery and got my hat signed by mykel hawke :-D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes I was intrigued by the tactical kilt wearers at the show. My daughters both told me I am not to wear a kilt ever!

I think there is just one rule for wearing a bushcraft man-skirt: you have to look so 'kin hard that no one is ever going to mention it!

Z

You mean just look "Scottish"! (Said in besht Sean Connery Acshent of courshhhe).

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
2013 Bushcraft Show 0 WEB.jpg2013 Bushcraft Show 1 WEB.jpg

It was good to meet those of you I did meet ... doh! that sounds daft! but you know what I mean :). Had a very good time with Paul (K) nearly gettting clobbered by bits of flying wood at his axe demo! Paul-who-does-the-spoons was most helpful too, he gave me a diagram of a contracption to hold the spoon while I'm carving as my hands are all deformed; shall definitely try that out. PK's nav course was excellent too learned some good things and had some good laughs as well. Perhaps the best was when Paul was getting us to walk on a bearing: I did the journey out just fine, turned about and got the white arrow going over the N, began walking on the reverse bearing and ended up about 20 degrees off! Nobody could work out what the hell was going on and Paul's decided I hexed the darn thing :cool::D. They even tried passing the compass up down over my jacket buttons and brass belt buckle ... to no effect!

We saw a couple of herons' nests by the bridge, it was good watching the changing of the guard between the pairs. Ben Orford's demos were excellent, he does teach very well, I really feel I learned more about knife sharpening. Lofty's talk was good too. The falconry and the ferret were grand. There'll probably be a pic of me with a tarantula on my hat in the next Bushcraft mag !!! I also got to hold a couple of glorious snakes.

Met some friends from last year at the Wilderness gathering and some new friends from Camp Basa who were good fun and most helpful. Also met a nice Italian guy who will likely join up here soon. He's a good cook, we shared a fire on Sat and he did us an excellent lamb stew! I'm sorry I missed some of you though on the Monday.

My little camp was nice and to wake up to bluebells and sunshine when I looked out from the hammock was divine. So was the birds' morning chorus. And I did get the angle of the hammock right after I'd took this shot :D:rolleyes:

Oh and I ended up buying a small Paul Kirtley kettle !!!

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Didn't spot a lilac spork but I did see men wearing "tactical skirts", as my wife put it.

Was too afraid to ask: were they wearing them for a bet? I'm as in touch with my feminine side as the next bloke and not too proud to look daft most of the time, but the green skirt made of all pockets (pockets are some of my favourite things, btw) is a wee bit silly, or am I wrong? (And I know a kilt when I wear one, and they didn't strike me as a kilt, either). ;)

Apologies if I'm offending anyone but please do educate me. I'd hate to be missing out on The Latest Bushy Thing for wont of a bit more knowledge. (And how advisable would they be to canoe in or dangle in - or out of - a hammock wearing?) ;)

Sure it wasn't utilakilts?

The ones on sale where called "blakaders" or something. I was told that one selling point is the sheer numbers of bottles of beer they hold. Similar in principle to a hammock they would get some air circulation underneath to keep you cool.

In the warm that sounds like a good idea but for a "pale blue person" like me it's a case of adding enough layers to not get fried and I am not sure how well they would look on someone as thin as me.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
@Elen

did you see the moonrise?

(any connections made between this post and my previous one are entirely the responsibility of the reader).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
View attachment 18748View attachment 18749

It was good to meet those of you I did meet ... doh! that sounds daft! but you know what I mean :). Had a very good time with Paul (K) nearly gettting clobbered by bits of flying wood at his axe demo! Paul-who-does-the-spoons was most helpful too, he gave me a diagram of a contracption to hold the spoon while I'm carving as my hands are all deformed; shall definitely try that out. PK's nav course was excellent too learned some good things and had some good laughs as well. Perhaps the best was when Paul was getting us to walk on a bearing: I did the journey out just fine, turned about and got the white arrow going over the N, began walking on the reverse bearing and ended up about 20 degrees off! Nobody could work out what the hell was going on and Paul's decided I hexed the darn thing :cool::D. They even tried passing the compass up down over my jacket buttons and brass belt buckle ... to no effect!

We saw a couple of herons' nests by the bridge, it was good watching the changing of the guard between the pairs. Ben Orford's demos were excellent, he does teach very well, I really feel I learned more about knife sharpening. Lofty's talk was good too. The falconry and the ferret were grand. There'll probably be a pic of me with a tarantula on my hat in the next Bushcraft mag !!! I also got to hold a couple of glorious snakes.

Met some friends from last year at the Wilderness gathering and some new friends from Camp Basa who were good fun and most helpful. Also met a nice Italian guy who will likely join up here soon. He's a good cook, we shared a fire on Sat and he did us an excellent lamb stew! I'm sorry I missed some of you though on the Monday.

My little camp was nice and to wake up to bluebells and sunshine when I looked out from the hammock was divine. So was the birds' morning chorus. And I did get the angle of the hammock right after I'd took this shot :D:rolleyes:

Oh and I ended up buying a small Paul Kirtley kettle !!!

Sounds like you had a great trip Elen and lots of fun. On the nav front, do you wear a magnetic wrist bracelet of any kind, A lot of folk do who have joint problems and it'll throw the compass out badly. Took me ages to figure out what was going on with a group I was teaching years ago as in the "class setting" they could do the theory perfectly.

Glad you had fun,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE