Bushcraft Schools In Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I am sure I have seen many threads about this, but these are the only ones I can come up with:

Arctic Survival Courses
Survival Training

and a few others.

I have looked at some of the prices for courses in Sweden from UK companies, and am thinking it will be cheaper if I make my own travel arrangements (I would want to stay longer than the course) and use a swedish company. I would just want it to be a basics course that can of course accomodate an english-speaking person.

Cheers :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Bearclaw bushcraft runs it's Vildmark course each summer in southern Sweden. The course is set up jointly between Bearclaw Bushcraft and Nordic Bushcraft and is led by the world renounded outdoorsmen Preben Mortenson.

You can find details under the courses section of their website here:

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/courses.htm

I've done the course and couldn't recomend it enough...so much so that I went back and did it again this year! lol

It's run at Preben's own outdoor centre and you usually have the entire place to yourselves....you spend a day in camp and then head off in canoes and the rest of the trip is actually out there in the wilds doing it for real...then the last day you spend back at camp being pampered ;)

It's aimed at both beginers and intermeadiates although I'd say even somebody thinking that they are an expert would surely learn something from this course.

The other plus point is that once you've met Preben and done the course he is happy for you to return alone, borrow one of his canoes (for a very very small hire fee) and head off into all those thousands acres of unspoiled and in fact untouched wilderness. I know several people from my courses have done this and loved every minute of it.

Here's a few links to reviews about the last two course:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13468&highlight=Vildmark

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6559&highlight=Vildmark

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

(P.s....usual applies, I don't work for Bearclaw or get paid to big them up...I'm doing it because I've enjoyed their courses so much :) )

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The course sounds perfect, and a very reasonable price. Unfortunately the dates don't look good for me this year - is it only a yearly thing?

Looks like maybe I'll end up being in sweden 2008 rather than 2007 as well, Phil!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yes, as far as I know they only run them each year.

Pity you can't make it in 2007 as I'll be there at the same time on my own expedition while preparing for the WEISS course the following week.

All the best,

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I think it's pretty safe to say that you won't find wilderness schools to the same extent here as you will in the UK. The outdoors have a strong place in our culture and there is a lot of not-for-profit organisations promoting wilderness training, for free. Even in primary school we have a lot of theme days in the wild. Also, our army (used to be) is based on the draft. So most guys (used to be) is forced to learn taking care of themselves in the wild. Almost all survival courses taken here is in some kind of military school, wether during the drafted period or after.

Then there are some civilian schools, the civilian defense organisation is the most renomated. Swedish survival society seems to have a good rep.

But there is a lot of wilderness centers that probably will set up courses for foreigners (and probably scam you).

Good luck anyway

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
big_swede said:
Then there are some civilian schools, the civilian defense organisation is the most renomated. Swedish survival society seems to have a good rep.

Iirc, Preben is the head of the Civilian Defence Organisation for his entire area....oh and he is also the head of the area's SAR teams as well as having been in charge of the survival training for the entire Swedish army in his younger days.

As I say....a man with more experience of wilderness living than most of us can ever dream of :)

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE