Bushcraft Quotes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
"prepare for the worst and hope it never happens" - my dad

oh and "never mind son, worse things happen at sea" - also my dad

:)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
One of my favourite films is 'She'll be wearing pink pyjamas'' It's about a group of women who go off on an outward bound course in the Lake District. One of the women says what has become a favoutite saying of mine. 'Life isn't a rehearsal, this is it!' Not a bad philosophy. :)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
you've all done most of mine so I'll point at my signature its not really a quote but it s good advice its occam's razor
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem,
which translates to:
entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity.

good to keep in your head when doing anything best of all if your packing your rucksack:D

i believe the saying no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes is an old norse saying

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
WOLVES DID IT!!!!! - My personal favourite and a good excuse for when you've burned another persons carefully carved pot hanger on the fire by mistake. :eek:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've never known wolves to do that. Pixies on the other hand are not to be trusted.
I believe they are all related to the toilet roll fairies anyhow :lmao:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Aaron said:
WOLVES DID IT!!!!! - My personal favourite and a good excuse for when you've burned another persons carefully carved pot hanger on the fire by mistake. :eek:

ahar it was you hummm wolves did it !indeed:lmao:

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
sxmolloy said:
"A blunt blade is more dangerous than a sharp one" - The One (Mr. Mears).

:D

Lots of people say this but it is patently untrue. I never cut myself once over the twenty-five years when all I had was an increasingly blunt kitchen knife. As soon as I started buying new and sharper ones I cut myself regularly.

I realize that you may sometimes have to push harder with a blunt knife but the fact remains that with a sharp knife the risk of a dangerous error is always present. Brushing up against a sharp blade will cut you but not so with a blunt knife; a little more pressure and you'll lose your finger but not so with a blunt knife. I know this is heresy but I think your quote is a dangerous untruth.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
"GREEN-CRAFT
Keeping you safe in the wilderness………and keeping the wilderness safe from you!"

Courtesy of neil1

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Ben Trout said:
Wood is great. You get warm cutting, you get warm stacking it and you get warm burning it.
Funny you mentioned this one. It flew through my head today as I gathered fire-wood. I have heard Ray Mear's say it on one of his episodes (Bushcraft Survival, Series 2, Disc 1, Cannoe Journey):
"It's said.. Fire-wood makes you warm three times; first collecting it, secondly shifting it and third when you burn it." - Ray Mears

I love the poem Pablo!

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
My favourite from Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

I really liked the Theroux quote, must get some of his writings.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I don't know about sharp or blunt knives being more dangerous. I do know that the sharper the knife the less trauma to the tissue a cut causes and the faster it heals. I have scars from a variety of objects like car parts and school lockers which didn't heal well but none from sharp knives which did heal.

SiriusB

Sep 19, 2006
Manchester, UK
Any chef, butcher, fishmonger, carpenter, builder and anyone else who uses sharp cutting tools will tell you the sharper the knife the safer the task will be.

Yes you may have been cutting your fingers lots on a sharp knife, but methinks you're just clumsy and/or so used to blunt knives you don't instinctively avoid the edge anymore :D

SiriusB

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
The way I see it is when using a blunt blade you need to apply much more pressure, hence there is more room for error, and when the error happens there is much more force behind the blade to do much more damage to body parts.

I agree that anyone may nick themselves more on a sharp blade but as mentioned earlier the cut is much more tidy and heels much better due to less tissue damage, and also because of less pressure the cut is not as deep as that with a blunt knife.

I have one nasty scar on my left hand caused from trying to feather a stick with a blunt knife (daft I know, but I was trying to prove a point to my 6 year old son, and boy did he get the message when he saw all the blood :eek: ) but yet no scars remain from the nicks I have picked up from my sharp knives.

Of course different people will have different experiences, but for me a blunt knife isn't much use, and if I give a sharp blade the respect it deserves, then I can manage just fine cut and nick free whilst carrying out a host of tasks.

Just my 2 cents....ATB Stu

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Heehee - Funny how these quotes that have been around for donkeys years, now get attributed to Mr Mears. ;)

One of my favorate is from Bill Mason - at the start of Waterwalker I believe :

"When the first europeans landed in the Americas, they described it as one vast untouched wilderness. This was about the highest compliment they could pay to the Native people who had lived there for thousands of years."

Cheers
Rich

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
A couple of my favourites:

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then we you realise that you cannot
EAT MONEY!

Cree Indian prophesy

And one of my Dad's favourites and suitable to the blunt knife debate:

You could ride bare arsed to London and back on that and it'd not leave a crease!

Al

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I count myself lucky, but I have only ever been cut by "blunt" items...I have a nice little scar from the 90deg corner on part of a lathe chuck, and another from a truely vicious letterbox :lmao:

Perhaps it is easiest to say that a person should stick to what they feel comfortable working with. If they can work without getting bitten (too often) by sharp tools, use sharp tools...if sharp tools bite, and blunt ones don't, perhaps its better to stick with the blunt ones. To each his own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE