Bushcraft programes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Guys/Gals,

I have been tring to encourage our scouts to get more into Backwoods/Bushcraft camping and other activates as I young scout my best members are of bivving and backwoods cooking on an over night hike and I would them to experience what I consider to really scouting.

My approach so far has been some what successful with getting them to build shetlers, light fire using a firesteel and flint n steel etc. I am planning a overnight bivvy later this summer with some of the patrol leaders and leaders as well as I hope some of the new Ventures that I hope get running in September.

But I would like to know what programmes or methods you may have used to help spark the encourage an interest in bushcraft? Or some positive experiences that have inspired you to learn more about bushcraft?

Allcomments are welcome.

Thanks
James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Me and another leader are planning to run something very like what you say, in June/July time in some local woods.

Our plan is to give a scenario to the camp. At the start give them instructions something along the lines of:

1) You are on a (DofE) hike, and reach your rendevous point in the late evening where you are expected to be picked up by minibus to be taken to the camp site, where the tents are waiting

2) You receive a call to say the minibus has broken down, and can't be repaired until the following morning - make shelter until then.

3) in the morning you are told that the minbus is irrepairable, and no further transport will be available for 24 hours. make a more permenant camp (and meals) and sit it out.

We would give scouts in pairs a couple of ponchos, some cordage, access to a saw & fire strikers, and some basic foodstuffs. The scouts will be camping in groups of two pairs (maximum size of group: 4)

Leaders would patrol on a reasonable regular basis, but the scouts would be basically left (in a supervised sort of way) to sort themselves out.

Needless to say before we do this the troops in question would have ( and already have had) a lot of practice in bivvy building, knife & saw work, and outdoor cooking.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I got into the whole of the bushcraft thing as a result of another Scouter bringing a copy of Ray Mears coffee table Bushcraft book to a leader camp (like a scout camp but without the scouts...). We all oo'ed and ahh'ed at all the wonderfull stuff being shown, and I resloved to get a copy as soon as possible.

When I got it I was so impressed I wrote an email expressing my pleasure with the book. As a result of this they put me on their mailing list... and as a result of that I managed to get a place on the Woodlore tracking course at short notice last year!

And it's all thanks to that other Scouter...

A

Anonymous

Hi Womble,

We have done somthing similar here already all do it was part of bigger district wide scout craft competition.

Basically it was several bases over two day's which included a whole favority of topics from navigating with a map and compass to shetler building and coke can stoves. But as it was part of a competition they were expected to known alot of already.

Bad idea in my opinon as many of the leaders only had knownlodge of the basics themselves. Plus they were suposed to sleep out in there shelters but some of the leaders voted against on the day. The kids were really disappointed. That's why I wanted to at least doing somthing properly with the troop I'm with.

What your talking about is very much a normal survival scenario but I want to go beyond that a little and actually get them into bushcraft camping. I like the idea of the second day and possible night give them time to learn more and use their own heads.

I got into Bushcraft much the same way as yourself but I have been involved with the scouts since I was 8 (nearly 21years) My wife bought me rays big book in order to make up a total order for book club she was with at the time. She say's it was worest choice she has ever made all do I have caught reading it lately.

Great idea tell me how you get on.

james

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i help out with a survival skills badge course that takes place down in wiltshire at the end of may. that's a great weekend.

at troop level we're looking at a self sufficient hike in the summer. i was at the preparation weekend for the expedition challenge badge course a while ago. it was very good, but many of the scouts are so small they simply can't carry all their kit. so they do it as a youth hotel expedition.

our idea is to make much of the kit needed during the evenings, coke can burners/trangias, tarps and stuff. and then put them all to use on the hike.

cheers, and.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i had something similar to what your suggestiong done to me when i did the outdoors course it was in St Johns and the guy doing it was an ex marine. we went out for a walk which i knew wasdtesting a bit of map reading. when we're coming back to base camp. he stops
*you got lost
*there will be a storm in about two hours
*make ashelterfor the night
*you have what you have on you right now

1 1/2 hours later a pessure washer sends water over the tree giving me the effect of heavy rain this goes on for a while.
he comes up and checks how the shelter did

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Sargey: The small Scouts thing is a bit of a problem; since the re-org we've lost the older lads (hopefully to Explorers, but they're gone all the same), and as a result the younger lads now make up a larger proportion of a Troop.

Last year I took the troop (average age 11-12) on an expedition to the new forest. We took the train to Beaulieu Road station and hiked the distance to Ferney Crofts Campsite - not far. It was useful for them to realise that it is feasable to go camping with what you can carry on your back - a good start into bushcraft possibly...

Apart from the size issue, there is also the Patrol leadership one. A 14-15 year-old Patrol Leader is more likely to be looked up to by the youngsters than a 12-13 year-old - and this has caused us difficulty in keeping a Patrol structure to the troop.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I was having a similar thought only this morning as I came to work.

A day hike ending in a campsite and bivvy over night. They need to carry everthing therefore it will be light weight and minimul. Make it a bit of a suprise for them as well to find no tents ready for them. The Ventures should love that as thats what there all about anyway.

The group that will be going will be older PLs, APLs and Vendure and some leaders so it should be well within their capabilities.

It seems that we have a similar issue with the size and age group of our scouts. I remeber us being a lot bigger :wink: But it adds a challenge when devising programmes and it's great to see the smiles when they get told they have walked 12 miles unaided. Makes it worth while. Even cooking their own meals is some what of novalty for many of them.

Keep does Ideas coming and I will give you all full credit when I use them.

Thanks
James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
To be fair - and honest - the Scouts were carrying tents with them, and the hike was really quite short - 2 miles at most, but it was a first for nearly all of them (camping without a "baggage train") and they all seemed to really enjoy it - especially cooking all their own food!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE