Bushcraft Mentors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
LIST TO LEARN....what a thread!

Leon-b has got me thinking about the possibility of some form of an online only mentor program for newbes to Bushcraft and this forum. Not to sure how it might work but maybe something along the lines of an experienced member volunteering to guide newbes through the first basic steps of practical bushcraft.

What do you think, could it work and is anyone up for it?

If I may, I would also like to show my support for Stu who does a great job supporting and promoting Bushcraft. His comments may not have come across well but keeping us lot in order and making this forum work is not easy, and at times will be unpopular.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its a fantastic idea Moko,
I followed that thread too with great interest. I think those that offered the challenge and the assistance are doing a great service to the cause.
I have a lot more to learn before I'd feel comfortable mentoring a newcomer but there must be some pointers that I can pass on.
Yes, I think it would work and for newcomers in my area I'd be willing to spend a bit of time doing something to help.

Ogri the trog

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Now there's an idea. What about a "monthly masterclass"? More experienced members could write a short tutorial on a task and participants get on with the task and post their results/ask for further help/discuss progress? A different one each month,maybe reflecting the season? Bear in mind I'm seeing myself more as student than instructor here! :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
scanker said:
Now there's an idea. What about a "monthly masterclass"? More experienced members could write a short tutorial on a task and participants get on with the task and post their results/ask for further help/discuss progress? A different one each month,maybe reflecting the season? Bear in mind I'm seeing myself more as student than instructor here! :D

That sounds like a quality idea.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
scanker said:

An excellent idea! Gets my vote. :You_Rock_

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I think that both the mentor idea and the master class idea are great most of what i learn is from seeing others do and the doing. I guess for this idea is going to move forward we need to come up with some form of structures, get some volunteers as mentors and some newbies as apprentices. I would definitely be interested in joining in but in September i start teacher training so my time will be extremely limited from then on. Ogri i wouldn't worry about what you have to learn this could also become a learning experience for you too as the mentors can support each other.

James

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
jdlenton said:
I think that both the mentor idea and the master class idea are great most of what i learn is from seeing others do and the doing. I guess for this idea is going to move forward we need to come up with some form of structures, get some volunteers as mentors and some newbies as apprentices. I would definitely be interested in joining in but in September i start teacher training so my time will be extremely limited from then on. Ogri i wouldn't worry about what you have to learn this could also become a learning experience for you too as the mentors can support each other.

James

Well, I know next to nothing! But I'm happy to share what little I do know or be an apprentice.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Gets my support, I'm returning to bushcraft after about 15 years and now realise how many gaps there are in my knowledge, and how much of my kit has gone missing.
How about a pilot scheme to evaluate method / style of tutorial and level of interest.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
:You_Rock_

Fab idea, I'm a 'visual learner' ie, I see something being done and then I can replicate it. Not so good at learning from words or books.

I have this drive to make my very own knife and have just dismissed it as its WAY beyond my current skills.

Anyone wanna be my mentor!?!??!?

j :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
janiepopps I have this drive to make my very own knife and have just dismissed it as its WAY beyond my current skills.

Anyone wanna be my mentor!?!??!?

j :D

Hi Janiepops,
You'll be supprised at what you can do once you start thinking around the corners. Read you own signiture piece, you're better than you think.
I'm nothing like a professional knifemaker but I've had a go and nothing has broken yet, so I can offer some pointers if that'll help. Do you have a particular pattern/method/use in mind?
I started off with a kit from Brisa, then followed some advice from Greenpete - next thing I know, I'm entering the Brantub knife swap in the Full Members forum.
PM me some ideas and I'll see if I can help.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
weekend_warrior said:
Well, I know next to nothing! But I'm happy to share what little I do know or be an apprentice.
Well, you do know how to make a shaggy ink cap out of a piece of wood Rich............Jon :D

dsc01656large4qq.jpg

All joking aside, I would be happy to help too

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
scanker said:

brilliant idea im up for it
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE