Bushcraft Insurance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This seems to raise its head now on an annual basis!

I sometimes get the feeling that when folks attend a meet and pay a small sum, to spend the weekend in a pleasant and safe environment, their thoughts are that the money raised goes straight onto the organizers pocket.

Well to put the record straight I will post some costs and you will see that the small sum is actually only really a subsidy!

I have just paid out nearly £300-00 for this years liability insurance. This is under the umbrella of 'Bushcraft' which has now been accepted as a verb and a noun in the English language.
This insurance covers our safe site for 'Bushcraft' events within the County Councils 28 day rule. This liability covers those who attend for the sum of £5 million pounds, in any one event, which is what is expected in this day and age.

If we end up going over the 28 day rule on a regular basis, I will be happy AND willing to apply for the relevant appropriate planning permission to continue. To do this I would like a little bit of money in the kitty to cover the inevitable costs.
With this in mind remember that any professionally run event has a Health and Safety policy. I feel that ours is in good order. Our personal adviser visits the site on an annual basis and provides written details on any issue that may be apparent. This also needs to be costed. We also have the added benefit of several large film company HSE inspections to help us!! (Their cover is 30 million!!)

With our site being in an area with many commuter belt executive dwellings one has to behave in a manner appropriate to that expected and this includes toilet facilities.
I am lucky to have a good simple system which works well and rules out the need to do these things like bears do. This would soon become a problem and very much a negative point in our quest to perhaps extend the 28 day rule.
In consequence the drains need to be attended to on an annual basis and this works out as another £300-00.

I will finish up by saying that I have just looked in my cash book and totted up all 'Bushcraft' income against outgoings and we only just break even! No holiday to Antigua today!

Swyn :D :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's no getting away from the paperwork these days, and it all needs paying for :(
All it needs is one claim though, and the rates will go through the roof.
I've been asked to provide proof that I carry £5million PL insurance for most of the events I've worked this year.............I don't have to pay for the drains though :D

28 days isn't a lot to turn a profit Swyn, you're doing very cannily to break even on that.

atb,
Mary

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
When you condider the cost of an individual staying its less than a take away curry... dam cheap at twice the price.

Sandsnake or Rod-the-elder :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE