Bushcraft Instructor courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 9, 2011
sheffield
Hi everybody

can anyone tell me which is the best certification or governing body for Bushcraft Instructor courses, and where can I find them, so many courses.

Cheers Andy:cool:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
So Certification and endorsement by NCFE makes the woodcraft schools course and subsequent assessment a pseudo qualification?

Woot

I fail to see how you can have a qualification in Bushcraft ;parts of the thing yes
The subject is too expansive.....
just me

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I fail to see how you can have a qualification in Bushcraft ;parts of the thing yesThe subject is too expansive.....

Agreed 'Bushcraft' is a very broad church. But it fundamentally seems to have a core group of skills ( fire craft, safe knife usage, shelter building etc) within the British context of bushcraft and these skills seem to form the basis of a lot of commercial Bushcraft course provision.

So if you're offering a base line qualification in the core group of skills is that qualification not relevant?

A parallel might (tenuously admittedly) be medicine.. A very wide ranging subject with a lot of areas of speciality.But with some core principals and plenty of qualifications..

Aug 13, 2011
As Shewie said....The Bushcraft School (John Ryder) (Friend of Ray Mears) near Liphook, when I went a few years ago, had a couple of Trainees.

Might be possible that they do a course or know of one.... Any help? :)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2011
Why does everyone want to be an instructor? Is this a badge that says look I am better than every one?

I don't....... Well not fer Bushcraft at the moment... Done enough instructing of other things...

Possibly they want to be able to pass their learning on in a more structured way?

(And get paid)....:)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
For me its being able to pick up tips from chaps that have been learning for a lot longer than myself, I cant afford courses, I aim to start at the very bottom, cleaning up and general camp chores(Oooo Hello sailor!) I don't want a school of my own, I don't envisage being a guru, just courses by the back door, my time and effort in return for experience in teaching the subject, and learning as I go, I am hoping to become an entry level assistant, I am learning the skills to pass on to my kids, I have no feeling on the ncfe certification other than I cannot afford it so wont be getting it.

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
I think im gunna revive this topic, its certainly something im interested in not soo much the courses, but doing it as a job i don't suppose any one knows a school or somewhere (or runs one of their own) that has apprenticships or trainee/assistant instructor groups?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lot of 'Schools' have gone bump, many struggle to fill places so don't think you can rely on this role to pay your mortgage.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Why not start smaller scale with a recognised forest school qualification, Its more satisfying to share knowledge and teach kids and young folk that it is a group of people with huge egos.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE