Bushcraft in Notts/Derbys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jojomad

Hi there!
I'm very new to bushcraft, but would like to camp out somewhere to practice - any advice? I've contacted the Forestry Commission, but no joy. The area is surrounded by lovely woods and green sites, but not allowed to play!!
Cheers
Joanne

Wookey

Mar 1, 2006
Penrith, Cumbria.
This sadly seems to be the same all over england. A good place to start could be on Scout camp sites or ask private land owners.
I have had success with both of these in Cumbria. Good luck.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Where about in Notts are you from??

I grew up in good old bandit country, otherwise known as Arnold and have lived in and around the Nottingham area, so no it pretty well. As said above most of the areas are privately owned, but a word in the right ear and paradise could be yours.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi Jo good to have you on BCUK

It's great that you have this enthusiasm to learn some bushcraft and we all come up against access to land issues but there are lots of other ways you can get involved learning the craft
have a look in the meet up and social chatter forum there could be a thread about your area or near to you you could even start your own :)
There is our annual gathering happening at the end of this month in south wales "The Bush Moot" have a look on the front pages. this will be a great event for meeting people and learning and practicing new skills and camping.
the other great place that a lot of us use is the back yard I find stuff i want to practice and then sit by the back door and have a go

hope this helps any more questions just ask

ooh why don't you say hello and tell us a little about yourself in the intros forum:)

James

J

jojomad

Thanks gang - it's frustrating with all this beautiful woodland around - one in particular, which is Harlow Wood is just perfect. I'm from Mansfield by the way - well, somebodies gotta be!
:)

J

jojomad

Hi James - thanks for your reply and welcome. I noticed the moot in Wales, but can't come to that one as I'm already away. Definitely up for others tho'! I love this site already. Are there many other lone female crafters?

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Well I'm in Nottingham, though I can't say I've chased up private owned land, but I do know that you won't get much response from the councils.

I don't get chance to pop out as I'm busy working to much, that and a lack of transport. (Yes I'm an armchair bushcrafter!)

There are several places that don't mind very light bushcraft - collecting birch bark off fallen trees, the odd false tinder fungus now and again, a hunt for pignuts when they are out ... at least I've never had a problem - but then I'm not walking around knife showing - these are council run forests I'm afraid (Rufford, Colwick Park, etc - as I said I'm limited to buses and feet :) )

Still we all have to start somewhere!

Venger

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
jojomad said:
Hi James - thanks for your reply and welcome. I noticed the moot in Wales, but can't come to that one as I'm already away. Definitely up for others tho'! I love this site already. Are there many other lone female crafters?

Hi JoJo
we do have quite a number of femal members i think there was a bushcraft babes thread not too long ago it's here blimey it was january !!!!! coor doesn't time fly

got to dash :)

Me
Thanks gang - it's frustrating with all this beautiful woodland around - one in particular, which is Harlow Wood is just perfect. I'm from Mansfield by the way - well, somebodies gotta be!
:)

Hi I'm new to forums if just moved to Nottingham and now I'm looking for quiet woods to spend nights out in and keep my bushcrat alive and keep training I'm in n netherfield my self

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE