Bushcraft in Northern Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi guys, Since joining the forum I have seen the odd nor'n irish member and I was wondering if there are any meets in the Down or Antrim area.
All help appreciated, and I haven't forgotten about you Robbi lol
thanks

outdoorpaddy

You've also got http://www.wild-live.org/ which was the first and still going Bushcraft school in Northern Ireland, there's also Pete Mcveigh who opperates a school out to coney Island in Lough Neagh and he's been at it for quite a few years and there's also Roy Huddleston who opperates in Fermanagh and he's been taking courses for many many moons, you've actually got quite a lot to choose from.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I didn't know wild-live was still running, shows how long it's been since I looked at their website. Might just book myslef on a course there!

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
As my shoutout in the meetup section had no reply so far (2 weeks) I'm reviving this thread... We'll see if something happens...

Alright. I'll be spending Christmas and New Year at my mother-in-law's place - partly in Portadown, partly in Ballycastle. So, are there still people practicing bushcraft around those places (ar in NI in general) or is noone left?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi WoodGnome,
Don't be disheartened. Certain areas are more active than others. Tend to find that some of the English & Welsh groups are more active as groups as they don't have as much free access to places to go so they band together as groups to share places they can go. Ireland & Scotland have more relaxed rules of daundering around so "groups" are less active as folks head off in solo or smaller bundles and so are less organised. Personally I'm not fond of big gatherings per say but Scotland has had a small amount of get togethers and I've been to a couple and enjoyed them.
It just needs someone to act as a catalyst to get things going. Also Christmas tends to be a time when folk have a lot of family comitments and find it hard to get away.
Keep plugging away at it and someone might pop up. Also get involved in conversations on the boards. A lot of folk can be reticent about commiting to a meeting with someone 'till they get to know them. That famous British researve. :D
So plug away and you never know, someone may come out of the woodwork and be your bushcraft buddy.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE