Bushcraft in New Zealand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
I'm heading to new zealand sometime in the new year and wondered if there were any practices which would be ok in this country but wouldn't be down there.

I heard that open fires were a no-no, but not sure if this is true. What else should I look out for?

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
be open and honest on landing with your kit they will want to spray your boots if you have used them outside near cattle . dont take any foods in very big in bio security. Check were you want to go they blanket treat certain areas to get rid of unwanted guests ie possums and some of these areas are off limits. if i think of any more i will let you know zacketry might be along in a bit ! !

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Common sense :) really, if a gate is open then leave it open as you may cut off livestock from a watersource, if it's closed close it. You'll find it much more open than most parts of the uk particularly the high country down south,
Like the highlands the weather can turn in an instant in places, so pack accordingly. Seems like every other week you read about some gormless tourist overnighting after going out equipped for a picnic in shorts and jandals.
if you are doing any serious solo stuff i cannot recommend renting an epirb enough.

If you are into hunting then try and tag along on a pig hunt.

erm what else don't be tempted to burn any of the giant pine cones - as you can flog these to tourists for a tidy sum allegedly :)

Check out the doc website they are a good organisation.

if you require any more info / garmin gps maps/ feel free to pm me and i'll send you some of my favourite camps.

cheers
G

May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm off to new zealand from the 17th Oct - 15th Nov and plan to go bush for a few days. I've been reading some of the doc.govt.nz but could do with someone with local knowledge.

I'm hiring a car and driving from Auckland to Palmeston North and will be travelling down the SH1 through what looks like some nice woodland. Just not sure how to go about deciding what to do! I'd be tempted to just pull off and set up camp but with the ban on fires in places.

Could I pick your brain please SeaMonkey?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
NZ biosecurity is really strict. Make sure all your kit is scrupulously clean. It'll be a lot less hassle getting through if it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE