bushcraft in canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A lot of the plants and food stuffs are similar to what we have here in UK, but the enviornment may dictate where they grow. Mors Kochanski has a great book for use in the bush, as he is Canadian I'd assume it would be particularly pertinent to your neck of the woods!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hello,

I live in Toronto - and on the weekend I bought a Peterson's guide to medicinal plants of the Eastern/Central region of North America. It is a brilliant guide, but I am more interested in edible plants and when I searched for another guide like it, I was pleasantly surprised to find this book - Peterson's Guide to edible plants... $14 Cdn.

If it is as good as the medicinal plants book, then I would highly recommend it... I intend to buy it this weekend!

"From the Publisher
More than 370 edible wild plants, plus 37 poisonous look-alikes, are described here, with 400 drawings and 78 color photographs showing precisely how to recognize each species. Also included are habitat descriptions, lists of plants by season, and preparation instructions for 22 different food uses."

Good luck and let me know if you decide to get it!

Cheers,

Mungo

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
Depending, of course, on your location. I'm in Alberta, so I would recommend Albertans pick up a copy of Northern Bushcraft (I believe it's been re-titled Bushcraft) by Mors Kochanski, and also his handbook 21 Native Wild Edible Plants. Both are available from Karamat Wilderness Ways (I have absolutely no affiliation with them or any of the others I'm recommending). They can be reached online at http://www.karamat.com/ .

NATURALLY: Medicinal Herbs and Edible Plants of the Canadian Rockies by Rick Langshaw, available from Summerthought Ltd. of Banff Alberta.

Plants of the Western Boreal Forest & Aspen Parklands from Lone Pine Publishing www.lonepinepublishing.com .

Also, Tom Brown's Field Guide To Wilderness Survival lists plants that are common all over North America. As do the other books I've listed.

HTH.

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Canadianwildman, I second Mungo and Yonderers choices. Peterson field guides are great,like Mungo says the books on Edible and Medicinal plants are well worth the money. As a matter of fact, I'm likely going to have to buy them both again new, as my originals are in tatters from constant use over the last dozen years or so. And as Yonderer mentioned Northern Bushcraft is pretty much indispensable, especially if you're in a part of Canada with Boreal Forest(I'm guessing 1/2 of Canada :D)
Good luck in your search.
Cheers
Alex

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
It is fantastic to see so many Canadian congregated on one Post.

My list of books is relevant to the area in which I spend most of my time. I would suggest searching a bookseller or sizable library for titles that match the name of a local First Nations group and the term ethnobotany. This will provide very good local information. Nancy Turner has co/written many books in this field for the western regions of Canada and may be an excellent start. Our region has until quite recently been under-represented in field guides and information as many of the books are focused on our neighbor to the south.

My suggestions for plant books in Canada.
Rogers' Herbal Manual by Robert Dale Rogers
Aboriginal Plant Use in Canada's Northwest Boreal Forest by Marles, et al.
Food Plants of Interior First Peoples by Nancy J. Turner
Plant Technology of First Peoples in British Columbia by Nancy J. Turner
Mushrooms of Western Canada by Schalkwijk-Barendson
Plants of the Western Boreal Forest from Lone Pine Publishers
Botany in a Day by Thomas Elpel
Trees in Canada by ____________

If you have further questions feel free to contact me off or on forum

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE