Bushcraft gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I just removed a pretty painful thorn from my middle finger. It was pretty deep so I had to use a needle.

That made me think; I want some bushcraft/woodcutting gloves!

I want them to be:
- Strong
- Light
- Cut resistant (I like to carve wood)

I like them to be:
- Flexible
- Heat resistant

So, any thoughts? I was thinking of leather or kevlar gloves. Any brands that are good etc.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
B&Q lightweight leather gardening gloves. They are white leather and very supple (goat skin I think), but they are tough and pretty thorn proof. They are around the £10 mark. When I got mine, I put them on, dunked my hands in water till they were soaked through then wore them till they dried. Now they fit like gloves.

Eric

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Long Stride said:
At work, as I work with sharp metal edges but also need to assemble small parts, we wear cut resistant safety gloves made by Ansell called Hyflex 11-625.

Now they are not cheap, I think about £5 a pair.

If you google safety clothing /PPE sites they will have a range of gloves that could be ideal for bushcraft.

Found a site that shows the gloves.

http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=&cat=54

Long Stride

These look like they would work, and a bit cheaper as well :-

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?i=1721

Andy

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
At work, as I work with sharp metal edges but also need to assemble small parts, we wear cut resistant safety gloves made by Ansell called Hyflex 11-625.

Now they are not cheap, I think about £5 a pair.

If you google safety clothing /PPE sites they will have a range of gloves that could be ideal for bushcraft.

Found a site that shows the gloves.

http://www.safety-one.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=1523908&cat=54

Long Stride

We've recemtly been issued similar gloves to those, made by 'Silverline'. I wouldn't exactly call them cut resistant though - a colleague slipped with a stanley knife recently and it went straight through the gloves and into him :eek: And they retain heat in a big way. By the time the glove heats up to the point where you notice it, the heat stays in the glove and carries on burning for 8-10 seconds. And they're not exactly quick to remove either.

I personally wouldn't recommend them, but I don't know of any alternatives to suit your needs either. :(

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If anyone has any reservations as to how cut resistant the kevlar gloves are, I once saw some at a demo and asked if I could try cutting it with my Leatherman which was shaving sharp. I was supprised and dissapointed that my knife made such a small tear in the glove - maybe a 5mm cut, if it had been normal material, I would have taken a chunk out of the table it was laying on.
They won't protect against a stab wound, and they may not fully protect you from a slicing cut - but they sure do keep a lot of people out of A&E.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been to the local diy-store today, but didn't had any luck there. I like to see if they fit first to be honest, so buying online is probably not a good idea...

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The kevlar gloves I got are used for protection against scalpel blades so are pretty cut resistant! They are not stab proof and dont think they would be very heat proof. I use them for my weak hand when carving.
The best gloves for my purposes would be the sort of rigger type gloves I think they are called.
I would say dunno if a trully heat proof /cut resistant glove exists!?!
Unless you of course use kevlar gloves under welding gloves!!:lmao:
Good luck D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would recommend witch hazel for toughening up your skin....You don't want to be wearing gloves all the time while out in the bush...If you really do need some gloves, for the likes of lifting a hot pot off the fire or moving thorny brush about etc, use some rigger gloves, tough and cheap....

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I've ended up buying these last weekend.

Didn't really test them out yet, but they seem OK. Made of cowleather.

ph_or_00771493.jpg

Ugly as hell thoughb :p

rancid badger

B&Q lightweight leather gardening gloves. They are white leather and very supple (goat skin I think), but they are tough and pretty thorn proof. They are around the £10 mark. When I got mine, I put them on, dunked my hands in water till they were soaked through then wore them till they dried. Now they fit like gloves.

Eric

Now, you see, if you had chucked an exclamayshing mark on 'gloves' I would have written this!
Any way, I work with ultra sharp edges in my job, basically your talking a 600mm diameter, 1.5mm, scandinavian grind, circular razor blade. I have to change these things when they wear down which is roughly every 48hrs and we are issued ARCO cut proof gloves for handling the blades-trust me-for slash protection,as well as good heat resistance, these are superb.

However, for a general purpose, cheap glove, go with Eric.

Kind Regards
Rancid Badger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE